Help me in identifying this motor

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Well, if it's producing a voltage that at least tells me it has a permanent magnet as a field. It can still be a motor. And given it produces a voltage (DC assumed) you can try powering it from a six volt battery and see what happens. It might move to a position and lock up. Change the connections and it could move to a second position and lock up. So on and so on. It would appear to be 3 phase and could be a 3 phase DC motor (if there is such a thing - I'm not the expert on the subject).

I've had several motors out of treadmills that were 130 VDC with a permanent magnet. Connecting them directly to a 12 volt car battery resulted in a slow rotation, low power (torque). At one point I thought about connecting one to a gasoline engine and giving it a pretty good spin but the problem is that the gas engine typically spins a max of 3500 RPM. I'd need some serious up-ranging from a belt and pulley system to get the higher RPM's the motor is designed to spin at on 130 VDC. But then I'm producing 130 VDC. Not sure how I could use that as a generator.

On the notion it comes from aircraft, it could be a starter motor used on something small like a Lear jet, or Falcon or Cesna - or other. OR a Commander (or other) turbo-prop engine. Could be a starter motor for an APU (Auxiliary Power Unit), used to start bigger jet engines. The broken fins suggest that whatever catastrophic event occurred, it must have ingested something it shouldn't have. Like a loose nut or bolt, or a rock that got kicked up by some prop wash or something.

It could be lots of things. But one thing - if it IS aircraft, it's likely going to be 400 cycle or DC.

Last edited:

kelaboy

Joined Mar 3, 2017
@Tonyr1084
Thank you for your detailed reply.

4-14V in AC but around .300 V in DC. :(

I am planning to press this against my mother's pedaled sewing machine and check for voltages. Wondering what rpm I could push a sewing machine to. o_O

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If you think it is a BLDC motor, which if measuring 14vac across two phases then it most likely is.
The other method as I mentioned is to short all three and try and spin the rotor. If you meet with resistance then it confirms BLDC.
This motor won't run on a DC voltage.
If you have a 'scope, you can see the 3 generated phases.
The reason for BLDC mode is although it has 3 windings/phases, only two are energized at any one time, the same motor Could be ran on a 3ph signal also, if available.
Max.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
I dunno -- I cannot credit an impeller drive motor with those winding resistances (i.e. 180Ω per 'leg' assuming a 'wye' configuration):confused: -- While indeed one might reasonably expect items picked from a tip to have 'issues', I point to the symmetry of the readings... Hence my assertion that the device comprises the 'sender' unit of some manner of flow rate sensor/indicator...

With marked curiosity
HP:)

Last edited:

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
On the notion it comes from aircraft, it could be a starter motor used on something small like a Lear jet, or Falcon or Cesna - or other. OR a Commander (or other) turbo-prop engine. Could be a starter motor for an APU (Auxiliary Power Unit), used to start bigger jet engines.
Tonyr1084 sry but no way! OP says motor weighs 4 Oz I know from years of personal experience (not just pilot but maintenance too cuz IMO that's only way to have total feel for machine) that most Learjet starter-gens weigh more like 20 kg and anyway in OP pic you can see motor is fed by ribbon cable which couldn't even carry enough current to spinup auxiliary turbine (APU). Tonr1084 plz don't be offended but I'm going to give you advice ppl sometimes have to remind me of which is plz read OP carefully b4 replying:)

Hence my assertion that the device comprises the 'sender' unit of some manner of flow rate sensor/indicator...
HP I say could also be HV motor or HV gen?

So honestly I say the whole thing is F'ing weird:confused:? If it wasn't for super high resistance I'd say it was brushless DC motor for like _Dustbuster_ or like that:confused:

kelaboy

Joined Mar 3, 2017
So, I just noticed that 3 wire strip carries some marks. Doesn't seem like Morse code. o_O

What do thse codes tell?

Last edited:

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
I'm voting that it's a fan or air pump, 3 phase DC brushless motor. hook it to a brushless DC motor controller and give it some voltage, see what it does.

From the picture it appears they used it to pump unfiltered air, or some other gas. It looks like there's a layer of dust on one side of the blades?

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
HP I say could also be HV motor or HV gen?
While that'd 'explain' the crazy resistance values, it would seem to be 'gainsaid' by the 'scant' lead insulation:confused:...

I'm voting that it's a fan or air pump, 3 phase DC brushless motor. hook it to a brushless DC motor controller and give it some voltage, see what it does
Still... the 'resistance conundrum' remains:confused:... Perhaps the unit includes internal control circuitry? - That would explain many things!:)

Best regards
HP:)

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
I would call it an air speed tachometer and chart its output voltage vs RPM, then pop a can of beer and sit on the couch for an episode of whatever the wife is into that day. :)

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Oh.

I'm almost sure to be 100% wrong, but I called it, and that's the end of the matter for me. Now I've got to get back in my cage and run on my little hamster wheel to earn my food pellet$.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Tonr1084 plz don't be offended but I'm going to give you advice ppl sometimes have to remind me of which is plz read OP carefully b4 replying:)
No offense taken. I bow to knowledge greater than my own. (also have a bad back)

My aircraft experience has been in the commercial wide body area, so I wouldn't know what a starter generator would look like other than the larger gas turbines used to start the jet engines.

As for reading all the posts - I try to remember everything that has been said, but sometimes I get off topic, which leads to some interesting speculations. As for what the OP said, a lot has been said further down the road and I've been reading this post along with others in bits and pieces. It's easy to lose some of the details. But since you point it out - I'm sure the wires could not carry enough current to start even the smallest turbine engine.