need help identifying BLDC motor wiring

mikewax

Joined Apr 11, 2016
Hello i've got an inconventional BLDC motor and wondering if i can use a conventional driver board.
see my photos. 3 lines for the coils, 3 for the feedback signals, and 2 more (+ and -) to power some kinda circuit who-knows-what. The really weird thing is, the connector has nine leads in it. I checked it with a loupe.
1.jpg

2.jpg

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
It may be BLDC operated, it could also be controlled in a AC 3ph fashion.
It appears to have a tire on the outer edge for a direct drive traction motor.
Max.

mikewax

Joined Apr 11, 2016
It may be BLDC operated, it could also be controlled in a AC 3ph fashion.
It appears to have a tire on the outer edge for a direct drive traction motor.
Max.
yeah its one of those scooter wheels with the integrated hub motor. no identifying markings, just a serial # that didn't get any hits on google. the guy i bought it from said it runs on 36v. it's very likely from one of those rent-a-scooters like bird or lime, and i figure it runs off of a 10s li-ion battery pack. those things all run off the 18650 batteries.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
I'd be very tempted to cut the connector off unless you have the socket.

The PCB is a great help...
Red wire is +5V power for the Hall sensors I would think.
Black = 0V
Yellow = Hall sensor for phase A
Green = Hall sensor for phase B
Blue = Hall sensor for phase C

Then there will be 3 wires for the motor coils.
It may take a bit of experimenting to get the A, B and C motor phases correct. but it should be pretty straight forward to try out.
Do you have the driver board for it?

mikewax

Joined Apr 11, 2016
well no i don't have the stock board, the controller that i have is a generic board, it has three outputs, U, V, and W. it is one of those "sensorless" controllers with no inputs for the hall sensors. IIRC, it syncs the phases by sensing the back emf. so yeah i'm assuming that it will work without using those signals.
what i dont get is that little blue board. i thought the hall sensors didn't need any 5 volts to operate.
i do have the 9-lead cable to mate with the connector, but i don't get why there are 9 leads.
check this photo. i figure that those black rectangular things are the sensors, but why do they have 3 wires?
thanx, mike
3.jpg