Help me identify this board

CiriousJohn

Joined Mar 13, 2020
Hello All,
I happened to come across this board (plus components) and was trying to identify what exactly it was but all my efforts were futile. I’m not into electronics or circuitry (not even sure if this was the correct place to write about it), so I’d appreciate if anyone among you could help me identify this “thing” (pictures attached) and shed some light on its uses and other details.
Thanks in advance & Cheers!

Attachments

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Looks like a power supply of some sort. Can't tell you what the output would be, but if you put 120 VAC to the plug (CN1) you should be able to test the output. CAUTION - A RAW BOARD LIKE THAT WITH 120 VAC ON IT CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU CAN GET A GOOD SHOCK; OR IF YOU SET IT DOWN ON SOMETHING CONDUCTIVE WHILE ENERGIZED YOU COULD BLOW OUT SOMETHING - OR START A FIRE. Be careful.

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
I think it is part of a UPS. The terminals P2 and P1 obviously go to the ends of a Transformer primary. Most likely a PWM topology. With a charger built in, the LEDS's, showing the status - Discharging, Charging, Fully Charged....

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Looks like a power supply of some sort. Can't tell you what the output would be, but if you put 120 VAC to the plug (CN1) you should be able to test the output. CAUTION - A RAW BOARD LIKE THAT WITH 120 VAC ON IT CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU CAN GET A GOOD SHOCK; OR IF YOU SET IT DOWN ON SOMETHING CONDUCTIVE WHILE ENERGIZED YOU COULD BLOW OUT SOMETHING - OR START A FIRE. Be careful.
NO!! It has 4 relays and no division between high voltage and the isolated section.And with 3 LEDs it is not a power supply. It may be a controller for a treadmill or some other exercise device. It might even possibly be a controller for a garage door, although those do not have so many connectors.
Note that it has a number of thicker pins near the relays, so there is some AC power control. It may even be the control board for a shredder machine. Note also that it does not seem to have much AC line filtering, which says it is not a power supply.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
While I was working, one of the guys was working on a live mains board and to make sure none of the odd bits of solder splash on his bench shorted anythng out he stood it on his packet of cigarettes. But as it happens it was Benson & Hedges, you know the nice gold coloured box, which, it turns out, is a metal foil. There were lots of sparks followed by plenty of rude words!

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
NO!! It has 4 relays and no division between high voltage and the isolated section.And with 3 LEDs it is not a power supply. It may be a controller for a treadmill or some other exercise device. It might even possibly be a controller for a garage door, although those do not have so many connectors.
Note that it has a number of thicker pins near the relays, so there is some AC power control. It may even be the control board for a shredder machine. Note also that it does not seem to have much AC line filtering, which says it is not a power supply.
OK, not a power supply. Looks more like a power controller as Albert suggests. {see post #5}
"/

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
That board could be part of a UPS. It faces only 12 or 24 volts. Take a look at this.

The diodes in the FETs are used to get a DC from the same invertor transformer charge the battery.
1585480252294.png

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Certainly the board could be from a UPS of the transformer-inverter type. A huge number of UPS devices are scrapped because the battery fails and the price of the recommended replacement battery is rather high. It seems that on a fair proportion of UPS devices the battery charging system is designed for a rapid recharge, which is almost never what is actually needed. A lower charging voltage could allow a much longer battery life. Most folks have the sense to keep a computer off for a while when the power becomes unstable.