Help! Is there a way to implement this?

lawofsine

Joined Sep 24, 2023
Hi Guys,

noob here.

- I have board A and board B. Both have MCUs.
- I have a reset signal going from board A to board B. The reset signal is normally HIGH (3.3V)
- I have a digital input signal (logic 3.3V) going from board B to board A.
- current implementation is two wires going to board A and B.

My problem is that, is there a way to implement it using only 1 wire?
The condition is that the reset signal should be independent of the state of the input signal because if the reset signal goes low, the whole system resets.
Is there a way to implement this by adding analog/digital circuits to board A or board B?

Thanks!

Attachments

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Is there a way to implement this by adding analog/digital circuits to board A or board B?
Yes, I suppose you could. But the only reason I would ever do that is if there was no possibility of adding a wire to an existing set of connections.

Here is how you could encode each of the four possible states on one wire as a voltage:

1695750896931.png

lawofsine

Joined Sep 24, 2023
Yes, I suppose you could. But the only reason I would ever do that is if there was no possibility of adding a wire to an existing set of connections.

Here is how you could encode each of the four possible states on one wire as a voltage:

View attachment 303535
This looks interesting.. i am thinking this would need at least 4 comparators to decode the four states.

By the way, my solution was to use a sn74lvc1t45 , this is a bidirectional level shifter , will post the schematic later. I am not sure if this would work though.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
my solution was to use a sn74lvc1t45 , this is a bidirectional level shifter
If I understand, you want to send a signal in both directions at the same time and the sn74lvc1t45 won't do that.
i am thinking this would need at least 4 comparators to decode the four states.
Since you already know the transmitted state at each transmitter near-end, then you can decode the two remaining signal states in the post #3 circuit, with one voltage comparator at each end, to determine the far-end state.
(Note that you have to adjust Out2 comparator threshold based upon the Out2 signal state.)

See the sim below showing the two outputs and the One-wire signals:

At Out1 you can determine the state of Out 2 independent of the Out1 state, if the One_wire signal is above or below 1.5V.

AT Out2 you can determine the state of Out1 if the One-wire signal is above or below 0.5V if Out2 is low, or above or below 2.5V if Out2 is high.

1695782900631.png

Last edited: