Help in selecting correct switch or even if one exits

J_D

Joined Jun 11, 2020
I am new to the electronics world. Built several small project and working my way up to building bigger projects.

So this will be a newbie question.

Needing to find a momentary switch that will control two separate circuits. When the switch is in the 'idle' state ( not pressed ) the switch closes circuit 1 and opens circuit 2. When momentary pressed, the opposite happens, circuit 1 is opened and circuit 2 is closed.

I could use 2 momentary switches to perform the task but that would be a poor design.

Thanks in advance.

JD

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
Hi there :) Mechanical switches can be classified into different types based on several factors such as method of actuation (manual, limit and process switches), number of contacts (single contact and multi contact switches), number of poles and throws (SPST, DPDT, SPDT, etc.), operation and construction (push button, toggle, rotary, joystick, etc), based on state (momentary and locked switches), etc.
Based on the number of poles and throws, switches are classified into following types. The pole represents the number of individual power circuits that can be switched. Most of the switches are designed have one, two or three poles and are designated as single pole, double pole and triple pole
The number of throws represents the number of states to which current can pass through the switch. Most of the switches are designed to have either one or two throws which are designated as single throw and double throw switches

J_D

Joined Jun 11, 2020
Thanks for the reply guys!

The circuit will be 24v. I should have specified that in my orig post.

From this information I am sure I can find a switch.

JD