Help identifying circuit component

mcardoso

Joined May 19, 2020
Hi all,

Doing some repair on a circuit board that was inside an industrial robot that I am playing with at home. There is one component on the board I am unfamiliar with.

It is a 3 terminal device that is shaped like 3 vertical cylinders with the middle one being offset and smaller than the outside two. It is enamel dipped like ceramic capacitors. The label on the PCB is "NF1" and the terminals are labeled 1,2,3.

The component sits between the external connector which supplies +24VDC and the connectors which distribute the 24V to various devices inside the robot. The middle pin is tied to a pin on the input connector labeled RG which I believe stands for "Robot Ground". Voltage enters on pin 1, RG is pin 2, and the loads are connected to pin 3.

I don't need to do anything with this, but just had no idea what it was. First though was some sort of 3 terminal fuse?

1599836847869.png

1599836863083.png

1599836880416.png

mcardoso

Joined May 19, 2020
Huh cool, Never heard of, or have seen one of these before.

I take it that the goal is to remove harmonics and switching noise from the DC power before using it on sensitive electronics?

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Ceramic oscillators are used at lower frequencies than Crystal even though there is some overlap. Crystals stop at ~1Mhz (or higher) where below that Ceramics are better. There are a quite a few MHz of overlap. So yeah, ceramic used on a low freq choke.