help identifying how to close circuit

roundy72

Joined Apr 17, 2024
i have this remote control - sw2 and sw3 are buttons but i want to run wires out of the pcb to a foot pedal to simulate button press.

any experts out there can look at this and determine where i should solder wires for sw2 and sw3? is it even possible to determine from looking at these photos? tIA!!!!!!!!

Attachments

roundy72

Joined Apr 17, 2024
i have this remote control - sw2 and sw3 are buttons but i want to run wires out of the pcb to a foot pedal to simulate button press.

any experts out there can look at this and determine where i should solder wires for sw2 and sw3? is it even possible to determine from looking at these photos? tIA!!!!!!!!
my bad it's actually so0 and sw1 i'm after....

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
In my experience, the copper ring around each pushbutton is either ground or the positive voltage. Usually ground. (Where’s the power source?). You need to confirm with a multimeter. Each switch has a PCB trace exiting from the center. So for each switch you want to run externally, connect one side to ground (or positive) and solder a wire to the respective trace. You can scrape the solder mask away from (just) the trace, tin the trace and solder on a wire to the other side of the external switch.

roundy72

Joined Apr 17, 2024
In my experience, the copper ring around each pushbutton is either ground or the positive voltage. Usually ground. (Where’s the power source?). You need to confirm with a multimeter. Each switch has a PCB trace exiting from the center. So for each switch you want to run externally, connect one side to ground (or positive) and solder a wire to the respective trace. You can scrape the solder mask away from (just) the trace, tin the trace and solder on a wire to the other side of the external switch.
the second photo shows the battery tray (lower area, battery is taken out for photo) looks like it goes to P3. so yeah i see only one trace going to the buttons, like SW1 in photo1 seems like it goes to R6 in photo 2. i dont have a meter, i am an amateur of the highest order. if i take a single wire and with one end touch the point at R6, then touch the other end to ground, it should fire the switch? also, in photo2, R6, R12, R11, R5, etc there are two solder points. it's so small and hard to see but it there a tiny resistor betwewn them or something?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
the second photo shows the battery tray (lower area, battery is taken out for photo) looks like it goes to P3. so yeah i see only one trace going to the buttons, like SW1 in photo1 seems like it goes to R6 in photo 2. i dont have a meter, i am an amateur of the highest order. if i take a single wire and with one end touch the point at R6, then touch the other end to ground, it should fire the switch? also, in photo2, R6, R12, R11, R5, etc there are two solder points. it's so small and hard to see but it there a tiny resistor betwewn them or something?
Without a meter, it’ll be difficult (likely impossible) to be sure how to hook up the switches without guessing. You’re right that there’s one trace (wire) going to the switches. The other side of the switch is the copper ring. The ring and the trace are not connected normally. Those “solder points” appear to be for connections off of this board. The ones on the right of the second picture go to a jack (J1). The left side go to a red and green wire apparently. And the remainder look like it goes to a plug for serial communications (transmit or TX, ground and receive or RX)

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Battery holder looks to hold CR2032.
Supply is likely 3v.
If you don't have a meter, you can detect the presence of that voltage with a high-brightness LED connected in series with a
1kΩ resistor.
If you use two LEDs, one red and one green, and connect them in parallel with reverse polarity, then that will protect them from excessive reverse voltage, and also give an indication of the voltage polarity.