Help identifying an SMD Inductor

Domokelly

Joined May 18, 2020
Hi AAC brains-trust!

I’m hoping someone might be able to help me identify an SMD inductor from a PCB. It seems to have blown out the sealant on the exterior edges so I’m guessing it’s cooked- it’s the only component on the PCB in question with any visible damage so I figure it’s a good place to start.

I looked around the internet for help and found this page which says that the number 333 could mean nano or micro Henry depending on the manufacturer...

https://how-to.fandom.com/wiki/How_to_identify_inductor_markings

I figure it’s either 3.3nf or 3.3uf with a 20% tolerance... Am I close?!

So I was wondering if anyone might know who the manufacturer is- and what the value could be?

For reference the component measures approx 6.2mm square and is from an instrument cluster in an Audi A3 made by VDO / Siemens.

Thanks in advance,

Dom.

Attachments

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
It seems to have blown out the sealant on the exterior edges so I’m guessing it’s cooked
Who knows but you might be able to do a simple test. Measure the resistance. It should be low. Less than 1 ohm. That only tells you there is wire in the inductor. It should be tested for inductance.

I think it was made with too little glue. It may be OK.

Domokelly

Joined May 18, 2020
Who knows but you might be able to do a simple test. Measure the resistance. It should be low. Less than 1 ohm. That only tells you there is wire in the inductor. It should be tested for inductance.

I think it was made with too little glue. It may be OK.
Hi ronsimpson,

Yep you were right- I did actually measure the resistance before but figured it may have had residual resistance due to the coils being shorted.

But I removed it and measures its inductance and it was spot on 33 uH- so it looks like its ok.

So it seems it's in the too hard basket- so I might just have to buy a new one.

Thanks for your help anyway- it's very much appreciated.

Attachments