Need help identifying type of inductor used in printer and its uses

danatic

Joined Jul 4, 2015
Hi! I am currently researching on printers and I would need help in identifying the type of inductor that is being used in the image attached. May I also know if what is the use of that inductor in the circuit and generally how it helps in the operation of a printer.

Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The inductor is wound on a bobbin with enameled copper wire. It is part of a sub assembly known as a switched mode power supply (SMPS). These supplies are very efficient and can have output voltages that are higher or lower than the input voltage. Other than producing the required voltages it has nothing whatever to do with printing.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Papabravo has identified. It can be either the "switching" inductor -the inductor that acts with a capacitance to smooth a variable duty cycle rectangular waveform to make DC or it could be a smoothing capacitor on the output of a switching regulator. Or, it might be serving an unexpected purpose.

You might get a more specific answer if we can see the components around the inductor that might be under that flat ribbon cable.

danatic

Joined Jul 4, 2015
Papabravo has identified. It can be either the "switching" inductor -the inductor that acts with a capacitance to smooth a variable duty cycle rectangular waveform to make DC or it could be a smoothing capacitor on the output of a switching regulator. Or, it might be serving an unexpected purpose.

You might get a more specific answer if we can see the components around the inductor that might be under that flat ribbon cable.
Hi DickCappels,

I have attached another image with the ribbon cable by the side so that you can have a better look. Please let me know if the inductor is used to smooth out AC to DC or is part of SMPS as identified by Papabravo

Hope that it helps and thanks for replying! :)

Attachments