Help identifying an old circuit component

Joined Nov 30, 2010
That's a new meter. If JeffM doesn't know how to zero the ohms scale, that could explain the discrepancy.

The side symbol is the manufacturer.

I cut one open earlier and it has a white center. Any idea what that volt symbol means? I couldn't find either a resistor shaped like this or that voltage symbol in my searches.
In an earlier post you stated that the combined resistance of 10 paralleled devices was 0.3 Ohm am I correct in assuming that you meant 1.03?

JeffM

Joined Mar 9, 2015
I ran it through my bench meter and got the same result, 0.3 ohm for 10 parallel and 1.3 ohm for one single one.

JeffM

Joined Mar 9, 2015
My apologies, that's why I stick to pictures. Memory lapse between the garage and the computer. The first assertion was correct, my last one was wrong. 10.3 ohm for 0ne and 0.3 (0.2) ohm in the picture for 10 of them. Despite the camera angle on the last one, the bundle is consistent at 0.2 ohm on different meters. I strung up 5 in series for 50 ohm.

a.jpg b.jpg

Joined Nov 30, 2010
1) I'll bet it says 0.2 or 0.3 with the leads shorted.
2) Remembering two measurements is so difficult that I make my helper write the measurements on a scrap of wood and hand it to me.

JeffM

Joined Mar 9, 2015
Well, don't be fooled by the kid in the (former) gravatar icon, but point(s) well taken, and help appreciated. Thank you both.

Ohm scales are not designed with the capability of showing negative numbers.
I'll eschew a quip Re: the ostensible 'utility' of such a feature as regards the assay of tunnel diodes and their ilk ;) --- Seriously though, zeroing firmware does have its proclivities... (though I will admit I've not seen a negative resistance indication :D)

Best regards
HP

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Did you swallow a dictionary? :p

You haven't used any words I don't know, but I have a feeling you're headed there.