help help help

avionicsgirl

Joined Oct 30, 2004
ok the question i need answered.

the negative feedback loop has a resistor in parallel with a capacitor. what is the resistor there for and how do you figure the value?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

Assuming you mean an op amp's negative feedback line, the combination of the resistor and capacitor act together to integrate the op amp's response to a step input. Let's say the input sees an abrupt 1 volt change. The output, which would normally swing at the maximum rate, will instead respond more gradually. The slewing rate will be close to the RC time.

The classic use of the integrator is to change a square wave input into a triangle. The secret is to make sure that the RC time exceeds the period of the square wave so the output voltage never gets to a stopping point. With a two op amp rectifier, an integration cap changes the output from absolute value to RMS.

Maxx

Joined Oct 30, 2004
Usually a negative feedback resistor would in simple terms set the gain of a circuit and the capacitor is often used to aid stability and help with upper frequency rolloff.

This is just a very quick generalised answer as i am only trying to guess at a circuit you might have in mind.

Plus i'm half asleep and should have been in bed hours ago, so my appologies if i'm away with the fairys at the moment :p