Help converting schematic to breadboard - vibration sensor to led and buz.

HitEmTrue

Joined Jan 25, 2016
I can't tell where the the red jumper connects to R1. Do you have it on the pin 11 side or pin 12? Should be pin 11. And you don't have connection from the left end of R1 to pin 8...white jumper on Allen's breadboard, row A.

HitEmTrue

Joined Jan 25, 2016
Next I'd put that resistor back in place and measure voltage between the base of the transistor and various other points, such as pin 12 or the negative bus...to find out if there is voltage at the base and why.

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
Just found out a mistake in my breadboard. The white link should be from pin 9 (not pin 8) to pin 12 of 40106.

I think you missed that link. I'll correct your board and send again....

sensor.jpg

Here's the corrected board....

JEFF SIMOM_bb.png
Allen

Last edited:

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
Is there a different circuit I could use that would serve the same purpose?
Frustration eh....:D

Sure, you can do the same thing with a design around a NE555. But if you cannot get this circuit to work, what would be the chances that you can get the 555 to work?

So just be patience and have some engineer's spirit. Did you spot any more mistakes in my drawing? I do make mistakes too just like anyone else.;)

Allen

Jeff Simons

Joined Jan 23, 2016

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
Did you try reversing the 2 pins of the buzzer? The buzzer does have polarities....

If after reversing the polarity and still doesnt work, put a volt-meter across the buzzer and apply power to the breadboard. What is the max voltage measured across the buzzer?

You can put a push button in series with a 100Ω resistor in place of the sensor to simulate alarm triggering for trouble shooting.

Allen

Jeff Simons

Joined Jan 23, 2016
Ok, so I got the buzzer working but now its suffering the same fate as the LED. If the battery is disconnected for a long time, I connect it up and the LED and buzzer just stay on. After a short while, it starts to work as it should with the sensor, then it gradually just fades until I have no LED and I'm just getting a flash and a bleep every time I disconnect and reconnect the battery, the longer its disconnected, the longer it goes for before fading away. Does that make sense?

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
I simulated the circuit and I am getting >7V across the buzzer for about 1 second. What is the voltage that you're getting?

jeff simons proteus.PNG

Allen

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Sorry, it is a buzzer not a speaker. I removed it anyway, just hooked up the LED but its the same, just staying on permanently. Whether the sensor is connected to the breadboard or not is having no effect on the LED. Is there a different circuit I could use that would serve the same purpose?

View attachment 99502
I don't see pin 12 going to the paralleled inverters.

Hi there,

I'm pretty new to electronics and am having a bit of trouble trying convert the attached schematic diagram onto a breadboard to test. The main issue I'm having is understanding linking up the IC, is there a way of simplifying the circuit diagram?

Very easy just download the free software from http://fritzing.org/home/ draw your schematic in fritzing and it will then produce your layout on a breadboard easy.
Bob

Think of a breadboard as a strip-board (er.g. Veropoard).

There are a couple of apps which can help translate a schematic to a strip-board layout.

First is "Stripboard Magic" - = "abandon-ware".
I found it too erratic to use but find it here
http://www.marlwifi.org.nz/other/stripboard-magic

Second is Designspark by RS components
Much steeper learning curve.
Has a workflow that runs schematic > breadboard > pcb
See

Cordially

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Hi there,

I'm pretty new to electronics and am having a bit of trouble trying convert the attached schematic diagram onto a breadboard to test. The main issue I'm having is understanding linking up the IC, is there a way of simplifying the circuit diagram?

I built your circuit. I ran it from 12 V instead of 9 V and I don't have your sensor. When I touch the point where the sensor goes with my meter the LED blinks once. Is that what it is supposed to do, or is it supposed to blink continually? On power on I get one blink. It does the same thing at 5 V.

Last edited: