Hello, i am starting to build regenerative radio, but i dont know how to make antenna

michael1978

Joined Jun 29, 2014
he

hi, can somebody help how to build one easy antenna for this circuit, i thougt you just take one 5, 6cm wire and you receive signal(but that was not true), i did not know so difficult like i search in google, i see some big antenna here is the circuits, just anntena problem to make

REGENERATIVE.png

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The strange thing is, that in the schematic they are talking about a dipole antenna, wich has two connections.
There is a single antenna connection drawn.

I am not a fan of regenerative receivers, as they can transmit a signal when adjusted wrong.

Bertus

michael1978

Joined Jun 29, 2014
Hello,

The strange thing is, that in the schematic they are talking about a dipole antenna, wich has two connections.
There is a single antenna connection drawn.

I am not a fan of regenerative receivers, as they can transmit a signal when adjusted wrong.

Bertus
hi Bertus, i understand you, i make one am radio receiver i had problem with antenna, so this dipole antenna can you tell me how to make wich diameter how does look, of some another antenna to connect, sorry i understand you dont like regenerative, i just need antenna, nothing more, how to make?

michael1978

Joined Jun 29, 2014
Hello,

A dipole antenna for AM would be huge.
I think a long wire as antenna would already work.

See these pages of the EDUCYPEDIA for more information about the antenna types:
Antennas
Antenna list
Antenna types
Dipole antennas
Helical antennas
J Pole antennas
Loop antennas
Parabolic Dish Antenna
Radar technology
Yagi antennas

Bertus
Realy long wire with work, can you tell me please, how long the wire, big wire or small , wire, i am reading a litlle but some link dont open...

Last edited:

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
Last edited:
The regenerative receivers I used to make (80 years ago) used, obviously, vacuum tubes and were nearly always for the AM band here in the US. The antenna was as long a length of wire as I could easily string up--sometimes only 3 meters, sometimes 30 meters. I used whatever wire I had, sometimes as small as 28 gauge, sometimes as thick as 16 gauge. Keep it as high off the ground as you can, though sometimes my antenna was only high enough to walk under.
Don't forget to use a ground. Here in the US a cold water pipe worked or any easily attached metal of your heating system (obviously not the power supply but the case or radiator or duct.)
Your circuit surprises me in a couple of ways. First is is stereo but it doesn't look like the receiver is stereo. Second are those half circles marked as X#--what are they?
Now what sound are you getting from the radio? A high pitched scream usually means too much regeneration. How does this circuit adjust the amount of regeneration? If it isn't screaming at you, do you hear anything? Does it change as you tune across the band? What frequency are you hoping to hear?

Ylli

Joined Nov 13, 2015
Mono out, coupled to both channels of a 'stereo amp'. The X# are jumpers. Probably have something to do with tuning/setup. Would need to see the whole write-up to tell. L1/VC1 midpoint tunes about 17.8 MHz.

michael1978

Joined Jun 29, 2014
Here is simplest long wire antenna you can do yourself using 10 AWG stranded copper wire.
http://www.winradio.com/home/ax05e.htm
And do not forget to ground your receiver.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/THHN-Brown-Stranded-Copper-Wire-10-AWG-100-Ft-/162972604711
thanks f
Here is simplest long wire antenna you can do yourself using 10 AWG stranded copper wire.
http://www.winradio.com/home/ax05e.htm
And do not forget to ground your receiver.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/THHN-Brown-Stranded-Copper-Wire-10-AWG-100-Ft-/162972604711
I need to buy that thing and also too long wire.....i have ferrite rod, maybe somebody can help me with ferrit rod how to mame it, thank you anyway

michael1978

Joined Jun 29, 2014
The regenerative receivers I used to make (80 years ago) used, obviously, vacuum tubes and were nearly always for the AM band here in the US. The antenna was as long a length of wire as I could easily string up--sometimes only 3 meters, sometimes 30 meters. I used whatever wire I had, sometimes as small as 28 gauge, sometimes as thick as 16 gauge. Keep it as high off the ground as you can, though sometimes my antenna was only high enough to walk under.
Don't forget to use a ground. Here in the US a cold water pipe worked or any easily attached metal of your heating system (obviously not the power supply but the case or radiator or duct.)
Your circuit surprises me in a couple of ways. First is is stereo but it doesn't look like the receiver is stereo. Second are those half circles marked as X#--what are they?
Now what sound are you getting from the radio? A high pitched scream usually means too much regeneration. How does this circuit adjust the amount of regeneration? If it isn't screaming at you, do you hear anything? Does it change as you tune across the band? What frequency are you hoping to hear?
Thanks for time, is to long wire , i think better with ferrite rod ? its small, do you understand...

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
he

hi, can somebody help how to build one easy antenna for this circuit, i thougt you just take one 5, 6cm wire and you receive signal(but that was not true), i did not know so difficult like i search in google, i see some big antenna here is the circuits, just anntena problem to make

View attachment 149461
This is a lousy circuit, what frequency band do you want to use?
This will depend on the number of turns on the ferrite rod.

Danko

Joined Nov 22, 2017
I need to buy that thing and also too long wire.....i have ferrite rod, maybe somebody can help me with ferrit rod how to mame it, thank you anyway
Energy of electromagnetic wave spread in space volume.
Therefore, than bigger antenna, then more energy it collects from wave in space.
Receiver + long wire antenna will up to 1000 times more sensitive, than receiver + ferrite rod antenna.
Especially in shortwave band.
Edit:
Band of your receiver is about
12.582 MHz ... 91.888 MHz (Thanks to Ylli)
Long wire and ferrite rod antennas:
https://www.wikihow.com/Wind-an-Aerial-for-Am-Radio
In attachment:
"Antennas and Wave Propagation" US NAVY book.

Attachments

Last edited:

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
My dad told me about building radios when he was a kid in the 1930's. He would string a wire between the house and the barn or other outbuilding. He said that when the wind blew the wire would collect enough static charge that he could draw a spark from it.

Danko

Joined Nov 22, 2017
In #1 schematic inductance L1 = 1uH, capacitance VC1 accept 3pF, then reactances L1 and VC1 will equal on frequency 3 MHz..
For 1uH and 160pF reactances will equal on frequency 400kHz.

Ylli

Joined Nov 13, 2015
In #1 schematic inductance L1 = 1uH, capacitance VC1 accept 3pF, then reactances L1 and VC1 will equal on frequency 3 MHz..
For 1uH and 160pF reactances will equal on frequency 400kHz.
F = 1/[2pi√(LC)]

1 uH || 3 pf = 91.888 MHz
1 uH || 160 pf = 12.582 MHz

Danko

Joined Nov 22, 2017
Hi Ylli,
You are right, sorry, "small" misreading: in both cases reactances are Ohms and kOhms, but I accept them as Ohms.
Thank you for remark.

michael1978

Joined Jun 29, 2014
Energy of electromagnetic wave spread in space volume.
Therefore, than bigger antenna, then more energy it collects from wave in space.
Receiver + long wire antenna will up to 1000 times more sensitive, than receiver + ferrite rod antenna.
Especially in shortwave band.
Edit:
Band of your receiver is about
12.582 MHz ... 91.888 MHz (Thanks to Ylli)
Long wire and ferrite rod antennas:
https://www.wikihow.com/Wind-an-Aerial-for-Am-Radio
In attachment:
"Antennas and Wave Propagation" US NAVY book.
I read long time ago Navo
but this wiki is good tutorial

so if i want to change the frequence for example am band
i need just to change the number of inductance? of vc?
thanks