heater help

nitko12

Joined Oct 14, 2015
I need something like electrical tape that doesnt conduct electricity but conducts heat very well (around 200-250 celcious)
Does something like that even exists ?

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
Polyimide (also called Kapton ) may work. It will withstand the tempeature but I don't know how thermally conductive it is.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I need something like electrical tape that doesnt conduct electricity but conducts heat very well (around 200-250 celcious)
No. As soon as you have any thermal conductor formed into a thin tape, it becomes an excellent shape to dissipate the heat out to the surroundings.

There are other thermal tapes (Aka heat tapes) that are essentially resistance wire in an insulating sleeve. You can wrap the tape around what you need heated and then plug it in.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
What direction do you need the good thermal conduction to go in? From one side of the tape to the other, from one edge of the tape to the other, or down the length of the tape?

nitko12

Joined Oct 14, 2015
What direction do you need the good thermal conduction to go in? From one side of the tape to the other, from one edge of the tape to the other, or down the length of the tape?
It needs to conduct heat from resistance wire to metal cube but if i just wrap it around it would make a short circuit so I need to insulate the wire from metal by some tape so it would be heat dissipation from one side to another :)

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
It needs to conduct heat from resistance wire to metal cube but if i just wrap it around it would make a short circuit so I need to insulate the wire from metal by some tape so it would be heat dissipation from one side to another :)
Depending on the temp you need, you can use Kapton tape (thin and fairly high temp, or, if high temp is needed, you can use ceramic thin sheets (.1 mm) made of mica, boron nitride, etc. for lower temp, you can use - nomex or kevlar cloth (fire resistant).