Heater for Petri dish

Kadav

Joined May 11, 2018
Hello i have to heat a petri dish for some appliances , and i would love to know which recomandations of heater can you please give me ?

It is for small samples .

thanks

Kadav

Joined May 11, 2018
A lot of specifics are unanswered, like size of plate, open or closed, uniformity of temperature needed, temperature range.

For starters, I would use a temperature-regulated hot plate. Surely, the arduino crowd has something like that virtually plug and play. You could also use a heating pad like the round one here: https://www.omega.com/en-us/industr...VR9bACh0_6wGTEAYYAyABEgJjmvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Minco is another supplier.
Thank you very much , the plate is opened and the size of 90 mm and i need to keep on temperature of37 deg
petri dish.JPG

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
My advice is the same. You will not need much wattage. If the temperature must be stable across the plate, I would lean toward using a hot plate or aluminum disk slightly larger. The disk could have a machined depression to hold the plate more securely.

Kadav

Joined May 11, 2018
My advice is the same. You will not need much wattage. If the temperature must be stable across the plate, I would lean toward using a hot plate or aluminum disk slightly larger. The disk could have a machined depression to hold the plate more securely.
And how could you plug the plate to the arduino , i understand the use of the silicon mat, but not the hot plate . or it is the same ?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
You will not be able to connect the heating pad or hot plate directly to the arduino. Or, while you may be able to connect it, I don't think it will work.

Your arduino is the controller. It can read a temperature from an appropriate sensor. Almost any sensor will work for that temperature range. Then it can provide a control signal to the heater power supply to keep a constant temperature.

Kadav

Joined May 11, 2018
Oooh alright , i understand , my idea was basically to drive the heater with a MOSFET that is connected to an arduino . that probably would give 12volts . but i have never pluged a power supply to arduino .
do you know any power supplies that go to arduino ?
Thanks for the help

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
You might be able to make use of a 1500 watt 120 volt stove element, running at 5 or 12 volts.

12 volts should give you about 15 watts and 5 volts should give you about 3 watts.

Then you could just use your MOSFET and drive the element.

There are companies that make low voltage heater elements.

Kadav

Joined May 11, 2018
You might be able to make use of a 1500 watt 120 volt stove element, running at 5 or 12 volts.

12 volts should give you about 15 watts and 5 volts should give you about 3 watts.

Then you could just use your MOSFET and drive the element.

There are companies that make low voltage heater elements.
you mean as a heater?