Having trouble working on a broken gamecube need help!!!

BlakesterGamer

Joined Apr 20, 2016
so on the gamecube that is broken I tried to install a new lazer the lazer did not even work so I need help do you guys think that it is the disc drive I think it is because when ever I put a game in and go to the menu to play the game here is what it says reading disc... and then like 5 seconds later it tells me to put in a new disc I can not find a video on how to fix this am I the only one having this problem?

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
I'm not at all familiar with your device, but most other drives run the motor and the busy led blinks for a few seconds whenever you close the drawer. If you take the top off some DVD drives a switch keeps the laser and possibly motor from turning on, look for one of those.

BlakesterGamer

Joined Apr 20, 2016
I'm not at all familiar with your device, but most other drives run the motor and the busy led blinks for a few seconds whenever you close the drawer. If you take the top off some DVD drives a switch keeps the laser and possibly motor from turning on, look for one of those.
ok I think ur talking about the 2 switches that gets switched when the drawer closes to let the gamecube know the lid is closed

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
I've also seen switches that keep the laser off if you remove the top. That's to keep you from shooting your eye out, I guess....

BlakesterGamer

Joined Apr 20, 2016
I've also seen switches that keep the laser off if you remove the top. That's to keep you from shooting your eye out, I guess....
ok I just tested the gamecube the disc does spin only with the old lazer inside of it the new lazer does not even turn on or spin the disc

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
ok I just tested the gamecube the disc does spin only with the old lazer inside of it the new lazer does not even turn on or spin the disc
Sounds like the new laser is not compatible with your needs. Can you meter your old laser to see if it is bad? Use meter on diode test , sould have a reading in one direction, but not the other (open)....

BlakesterGamer

Joined Apr 20, 2016
Sounds like the new laser is not compatible with your needs. Can you meter your old laser to see if it is bad? Use meter on diode test , sould have a reading in one direction, but not the other (open)....
well the gamecube is a console 15 years old and there are 2 models of the gamecube but I do not know if the 2 models use the same lazer or disc drive

BlakesterGamer

Joined Apr 20, 2016
do you think I should just buy a new disc drive with the lazer for about $20