Hate speech is not politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Hi @Wendy,
I very good understand you, especially your psychology.
But here you are m o d e r a t o r !
Moderator, when performs its duties, should be like machine:
No gender, no emotions, only professionalism, logic and rules.
For links to your private stories, PM or social media are exist,
not electronics forum.
Think about it.

Danko.
@Danko It was not Wendy but a different moderator who noticed your comments and initiated the one day ban, so drop that line of reasoning. Wendy goes way out of her way to remain an objective and fair moderator.

Such comments and behavior that hurt members is an occasional problem here on AAC. It is a great shame that some people who come to this site wish they had never participated because of the abuse they suffered. Some people such as yourself may have been raised to think the way you apparently do about people with sexual orientations not quite the same as your own. That is not your fault, you did not know better when you were younger. What you can control now is how you react in public and how you treat others.

You are a valued contributor and teacher to many who come here, and I hope this incident will pass quickly so we can all get back to what brought us here together in the first place: electronics.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi Danko,
In order to clear any doubt, I Deleted your post as Off Topic.

If you have a problem with that feel free to PM me.

EESP_ 732 Sep. 01 16.19.png

Last edited:

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Wendy,
Please stop pointing fingers before You go too far.
Everyone here is trying to improve the situation.
We are not your enemy.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
doubt Wendy think so, because propaganda -
is "spreading information with specific intent"
That's not the common definition.
Propaganda-
Information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Usually and generally speaking, when I post on a thread I do so as a participating member.
When I act as a moderator I do so behind the scene which members do not see unless I need to inform a member why certain actions have been taken.

Of course, in this post I am acting as a moderator.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Posting as a moderator:

This thread is about Feedback and Suggestions.
Thus, you can end the bickering between members otherwise this thread will be locked.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Warning

Any member who posts comments that are not constructive Feedback and Suggestions do so at the risk of being banned.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I am reluctant to wade into this but since I post here so often I feel that I should make feelings on this known.

I disagree with the philosophy and politics of many people here. I judge this from their own words. I might misunderstand some of it, but I am very confident that the gist of my understanding is correct and my judgment is valid as any I can make.

I avoid commenting on such things because I don't see any utility in it. This is, after all, supposed to be about the common interest of electronics and related technologies. Of course, I like to have a community where I can discuss things I am interested in with people who share other, unrelated interests but famously religion and politics are not discussed in "polite company".

Why is this? Because each of them tend to be based on faith in certain ideas and engender a great deal of confirmation bias not matter what your position. The result is that otherwise simpatico people will argue and come to dislike each other, even though prior to having those topics arise they were happy in each other's (limited) company.

Where I draw the line on avoiding comment is when the words are injurious, or aren't just disagreement on how to accomplish shared goals rather are an expression of something I can't tolerate because it is intolerance itself.

In those cases, I feel compelled to say something so as not to remain silent and be counted among those who agree with the expression of something I could never agree to.

As I said, I disagree with a lot of things said. I am neither right nor left politically. I don't have an orthodoxy, and no religion informs my ideas about society.

Here is the foundation of how I try to lead my life: I work to optimize the autonomy of persons within the constraints of our shared society and civilization; and I hold that the primary moral duty of humans it to increase the justice and compassion in the world, something only we are capable of doing.

I will not call out which things in this discussion I believe are contradictory to that foundation but rather I would ask everyone to consider how what they are saying fits it, and the effect it has on the others who make this one of their online homes.

One more thing. I started a campaign for a technical community, "I am sensible":

I act with wisdom, (sensibly); and I am aware of, (sensible to), the effect of my actions on others.

It was intended to provide common ground for everyone in the community, even those to disagreed on many things. It was intended to provide an agreed platform to work towards a place we could share.

Tolerance is not an aspirational goal, it is a baseline! Tolerance is the very minimal thing any philosophy must include to be acceptable since we know there will always be disagreement. Yes, there are intolerable things, but just what those are must be very, very few if we are to survive as a society—or a community.

Danko

Joined Nov 22, 2017
That's not the common definition.
Propaganda-
Information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view.
In my language propaganda means something between advocacy and promotion.
"Propaganda of healthy lifestyle" or "Propaganda of behavioral philosophy".

hi Danko,
In order to clear any doubt, I Deleted your post as Off Topic.
If you have a problem with that feel free to PM me.
O.K.
No problem. Thanks.

@Danko It was not Wendy but a different moderator who noticed your comments and initiated the one day ban, so drop that line of reasoning. Wendy goes way out of her way to remain an objective and fair moderator.
I do not have problem with Wendy.

Such comments and behavior that hurt members is an occasional problem here on AAC. It is a great shame that some people who come to this site wish they had never participated because of the abuse they suffered. Some people such as yourself may have been raised to think the way you apparently do about people with sexual orientations not quite the same as your own. That is not your fault, you did not know better when you were younger. What you can control now is how you react in public and how you treat others.
Of course I can.

You are a valued contributor and teacher to many who come here, and I hope this incident will pass quickly so we can all get back to what brought us here together in the first place: electronics.
I hope too.
Thanks.

Last edited:

narkeleptk

Joined Mar 11, 2019
I am reluctant to wade into this but since I post here so often I feel that I should make feelings on this known.

I disagree with the philosophy and politics of many people here. I judge this from their own words. I might misunderstand some of it, but I am very confident that the gist of my understanding is correct and my judgment is valid as any I can make.

I avoid commenting on such things because I don't see any utility in it. This is, after all, supposed to be about the common interest of electronics and related technologies. Of course, I like to have a community where I can discuss things I am interested in with people who share other, unrelated interests but famously religion and politics are not discussed in "polite company".

Why is this? Because each of them tend to be based on faith in certain ideas and engender a great deal of confirmation bias not matter what your position. The result is that otherwise simpatico people will argue and come to dislike each other, even though prior to having those topics arise they were happy in each other's (limited) company.

Where I draw the line on avoiding comment is when the words are injurious, or aren't just disagreement on how to accomplish shared goals rather are an expression of something I can't tolerate because it is intolerance itself.

In those cases, I feel compelled to say something so as not to remain silent and be counted among those who agree with the expression of something I could never agree to.

As I said, I disagree with a lot of things said. I am neither right nor left politically. I don't have an orthodoxy, and no religion informs my ideas about society.

Here is the foundation of how I try to lead my life: I work to optimize the autonomy of persons within the constraints of our shared society and civilization; and I hold that the primary moral duty of humans it to increase the justice and compassion in the world, something only we are capable of doing.

I will not call out which things in this discussion I believe are contradictory to that foundation but rather I would ask everyone to consider how what they are saying fits it, and the effect it has on the others who make this one of their online homes.

One more thing. I started a campaign for a technical community, "I am sensible":

I act with wisdom, (sensibly); and I am aware of, (sensible to), the effect of my actions on others.

It was intended to provide common ground for everyone in the community, even those to disagreed on many things. It was intended to provide an agreed platform to work towards a place we could share.

Tolerance is not an aspirational goal, it is a baseline! Tolerance is the very minimal thing any philosophy must include to be acceptable since we know there will always be disagreement. Yes, there are intolerable things, but just what those are must be very, very few if we are to survive as a society—or a community.
Only thing in this thread worth reading. Well said @Yaakov .
SUGGESTION so I dont get banned... If the mods want to delete anything it should just be the whole thread. Its not a good look for the moderation getting so hostile. Like MR.Chips said. Mods should work in the background. There is nothing of value here other then Yaakovs post.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Only thing in this thread worth reading. Well said @Yaakov .
SUGGESTION so I dont get banned... If the mods want to delete anything it should just be the whole thread. Its not a good look for the moderation getting so hostile. Like MR.Chips said. Mods should work in the background. There is nothing of value here other then Yaakovs post.
IMHO, I didn’t see any hostility FROM THE MODERATORS.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
Its not a good look for the moderation getting so hostile.
hi @narkeleptk,
I am not hostile towards any member.
I apply the Terms and Rules of AAC as set out by Administration.
If this is seen as some form of hostility that is unfortunate.

Without the said Terms/Rules being applied to some members, the site would become unusable in a matter of days.
As a member you see only the tip of the iceberg in the amount of garbage, from many sources, that has to be cleared almost every day.

Most members join AAC to partake and hopefully enjoy in discussing a wide range of electronics topics, sadly a few join just to air their own grievances to a readily available public audience.

E

ImWolf

Joined May 26, 2013
I do not frequent AAC very often, so I'm not too familiar with the road map here. This morning I noticed that Wendy had put up something directed at me to read this "hate speech" thread a few weeks ago.

Surely, this has to do with my being kick/banned back then for a post including a hateful, political, shameful, slur... or which was it? It was none of the above.

A member kept ribbing me and making snide remarks because I told him I would not "upgrade" to Windows10. So I explained exactly what I thought of the Microsoft founder and why I would no longer support any of his garbage.... this included the word tranny to describe his mate, which a moderator obviously found offensive.

This is actually quite ironic since I've been dealing with transgenderism from age 4, and might know more on the subject than all of you..... and yes, that includes you Wendy. I'm not going to start a thread on my life story and demand anyone read it, or demand I be accepted and respected, because it's none of your business folks..... and has nothing to do with electronics.

Of all the people I have corresponded with either in person, by phone, or in writing over the years, I don't recall anyone being offended by the word tranny.... it is not hateful, offensive, or an insult in my world. So if you find yourself triggered by this word, that's in your head. Not in mine.

And no, I'm not going to go looking for the latest edition of the new woke dictionary so I can spend my remaining years walking on egg shells and not offending the weak minded idiocracy that society is descending into.

At the rate things are going, it won't be long b4 anything and everything will be considered "hate speech" by someone out there... and I refuse to participate.

https://www.rt.com/usa/534197-declaration-independence-constitution-harmful/

Have a nice day.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I was just spelling out if you indulge in it there will be repercussions which you have served. The odd thing is, I didn't ban one member for posting something. The other moderators felt it was necessary. Tranny is a bad word just like the N word for a black person for much the same reason. The last thing some trans people would hear while being beat to death was f*cking tranny. It is a term of derision and hatred. I think this thread is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.