Hardware Simulator

jjimenez01

Joined Dec 8, 2006
Hello all,

Ok so what exaclty is a Hardware simulator, and what is it's purpose?

I am guessing that it is software where you can write code and test it as if you were actually downloading it into a processor and be able to monitor I/O pins etc. Am I in the right track here? Thanks

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Definitions vary - the last ones I messed with were aircraft simulators. The P3C Orion was best, as we always dropped nuclear torpedoes on the Russian subs.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hello all,

Ok so what exaclty is a Hardware simulator, and what is it's purpose?

I am guessing that it is software where you can write code and test it as if you were actually downloading it into a processor and be able to monitor I/O pins etc. Am I in the right track here? Thanks
It is a piece of hardware that behaves like a processor, and you can probe the internals. They are implemented with either discrete circuits, or so-called "bond-out" chips. The idea is to be able to laod and debug programs that would otherwise be in on-chip ROM memory.

jjimenez01

Joined Dec 8, 2006
Ok let me be a little more clear with my question and why I am asking this. I want to delve more into the world of embedded programming using different microcontrollers that I have not touched before, specifically the 8051. As I researched books on the topic, I saw one on Amazon and one of it's description is as follows:

"The Keil hardware simulator for the popular 8051 microcontroller is on the CD-ROM so that readers can try out examples from the book - and create new ones - without requiring additional hardware."

What does the Keil hardware simulator provide me with? Thanks

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Like most ambiguous phrases, the details really matter. In this case I believe Keil has written a piece of software, distributed on CD-ROM, which will simulate the execution of an 8051. I'd be interested to know if it can simulate external inputs and outputs as well.

jjimenez01

Joined Dec 8, 2006
Yeah, that is what it think also. Actually that is what I am hoping. So that I will not have to buy a an actual eval board.

khpceng

Joined Mar 24, 2007
AAC does not support 'cracks' for proprietary software. If you want a fully working copy of a paid-for application buy it.

psihodelia

Joined Aug 7, 2006
If you mean Digital Logic, than you need to read more about Hardware Description Languages. You can describe your Hardware and make Simulation.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
AAC does not support 'cracks' for proprietary software. If you want a fully working copy of a paid-for application buy it.
Where do you get off thinking that's what the OP wanted? He simply asked for an interpretation of Keil's marketing bumpf!

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
If you mean Digital Logic, than you need to read more about Hardware Description Languages. You can describe your Hardware and make Simulation.
I don't get the impression that we wants to simulate the design of an 8051. I think he wants to see what the code looks like for a typical application.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Where do you get off thinking that's what the OP wanted? He simply asked for an interpretation of Keil's marketing bumpf!
Papabravo,

That was my edit, since khpceng posted a slightly related request for a crack for a proprietary package. (Note the edit notice at the bottom of the post).

Dave

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Papabravo,

That was my edit, since khpceng posted a slightly related request for a crack for a proprietary package. (Note the edit notice at the bottom of the post).

Dave
Excuse me, but I can see no evidence of your edit or that intent in the original post by jjimenez01. I thought khpceng was admonishing the OP that AAC does not support 'that' activity. I failed to read the fine print.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Excuse me, but I can see no evidence of your edit or that intent in the original post by jjimenez01. I thought khpceng was admonishing the OP that AAC does not support 'that' activity. I failed to read the fine print.
Without taking this off topic you should see the edit message at the bottom of khpceng's post indicating my edit of that post:

khpceng Post.jpg

If not, it would be interesting to know so I can find out why.

Dave

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
As I said "I failed to read the fine print" of Dave's edit. I can see it now, but I missed it the first time. I thought Dave's edit was khpceng speaking about the OP. If I made that mistake I'm sure others may have also. I said "excuse me" -- what more do you two want? Do we really need to belabor the point further?

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
As I said "I failed to read the fine print" of Dave's edit. I can see it now, but I missed it the first time. I thought Dave's edit was khpceng speaking about the OP. If I made that mistake I'm sure others may have also. I said "excuse me" -- what more do you two want? Do we really need to belabor the point further?
You can see the edit statement and your correction is acknowledged. This is the end of the matter. Further discussion on this (if any is required) should be over PM.

Dave