Joined Jan 17, 2007
I didn't want to hijack KL7AJ's thread.

But just curious to know how many AAC members are:
  1. ham radio operators
  2. musicians
  3. both ham and musicians
Count me in #3.
I'll go for #2 ... wait ... that didn't come out right ... :confused::D

Seriously now, I've been playing the guitar since I was 6. In recent years I've grown bored of playing other people's music, so I started writing my own.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
#2 only. My brother did ham radio in the 60's but it never clicked with me.

An additional distinction to #2 would be 2A = musician, 2B = musician that has ever been paid to play music. I'm a 2B.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010

ETA: Just for the record, I have played tenor sax, piano, trumpet, baritone, and guitar...all of them badly.

Last edited:

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Have had a ham and commercial FCC license just shy of 40 years. Studied violin when I was young. But all they have around here is bluegrass. Can't stand bluegrass. Always thought pizzicato was an abuse to a fine instrument. And a terrible sound.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Ya, I learned a couple flamenco songs. I also like country/folk, 2 of my friends play, one on Bass and the other combo Harp and Guitar. We do a little writing but, nothing completed yet.

No time.

kv

Edit: Take that back, the guy that play's Combo Harp and Guitar did write a song I like. I'll see if I can get the words and the cords.
Edit:Edit: It's country/folk.

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Nice, I thought only #12 and I think Mr, Chips play Guitar. Can you do any Spanish Fingering styles?

kv
I took classical guitar lessons for a short time, i.e. Spanish fingering style.
Apart from that I am self taught. I play classical, rock, folk, jazz, and bass. I play piano, also self taught.
Guitars: Fender Strat, Telecaster, Jazz Bass, Ibanez archtop, and a collection of acoustic, classical, folk and 12-string.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Hey... maybe we should put something together... using Audacity or something similar... like a networked piece of music, or something...
Interesting idea. What software would best enable an online jam? Is it even remotely possible with internet lag times and such? Could be a cool project.

I was never that great a guitarist, but I earned my spot in the band by 1) not being an a-hole (quite a rare asset in bands, apparently) and 2) knowing the words and chords to more songs than anyone else. I never read music enough to hurt me much, and could figure out most songs I cared to cover in a few plays, if not just one.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Interesting idea. What software would best enable an online jam? Is it even remotely possible with internet lag times and such? Could be a cool project.

I was never that great a guitarist, but I earned my spot in the band by 1) not being an a-hole (quite a rare asset in bands, apparently) and 2) knowing the words and chords to more songs than anyone else. I never read music enough to hurt me much, and could figure out most songs I cared to cover in a few plays, if not just one.
I seen a guy take several online singers and put them together, they listen to the music and sang their part and submit the video's with audio. Then he splices the singers together with software.

kv

Edit: Found the video

https://www.ted.com/talks/eric_whitacre_virtual_choir_live

Last edited: