Hall Effect Sensor with Solid State Relay

clark.kent156

Joined Aug 17, 2019
Hi. I'm new to this forum. I'm not completely ignorant with electronics, most of my knowledge being in computers, networks, phone repair, etc. The last forum I joined, I posted a new thread, didn't provide enough information, and they were complete assholes. I may not know all the language, or all the names for parts, but I'm a good learner, I'm not afraid to research and figure it out, and I'm here to learn. With that being said, help me learn some things, and I will do my best to pass on my knowledge when appropriate. So let's dig in!

So I'm building a circuit. I'm wanting to use a hall effect sensor to open a solid state relay, to trigger a device. In my test setup, I have a 9v battery, solderless breadboard, hall effect sensor, ssr, and a board with 2 led"s on it that I salvaged from a working multipurpose light. The board with the led's I believe has a 4.5v requirement since the unit had a 3 aaa alkaline batteries to power it, 1.5v each. I can hook the 9v to the 2 wires of the led board and they light up. Holding it for a few seconds as to not burn them out. You can see in my makeshift diagram how my setup is. I can hook up the breadboard, put power to the SSR and have full readings with my multimeter that power is going to the SSR. The light on the SSR even lights up. But...there is NO reading on the output of the SSR to the led's. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Please advise. Thank you. MY SSR SETUP.png

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
There are connections missing in your drawing.
It is best to show it in circuit diagram form rather than the physical connections like shown.
e.g. How is the power obtained and fed to the SSR output?
Max.

clark.kent156

Joined Aug 17, 2019
Thank you for responding. Bear with me. I'm terrible at making diagram forms, which is why I did it this way. You might save the image and blow it up so you can see how it is setup. There is writing there explaining. From what I have interpreted so far, the power supply connects to the positive leg of the hall sensor, and exits thru the output leg, to the ssr. Then from there, the positive of the ssr to the load. I know I have something missing, or crossed, I'm not sure what. This is a prototype circuit. I'm trying to learn what I have done and not done. Thanks.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
What is the part No. of the prox switch?
Many are either sink or source output, so it will have to be connected to the SSR accordingly.
Max.

clark.kent156

Joined Aug 17, 2019
I did not realize they were obsolete. I may do that since i may need more in the future. Thanks. I will try out the other connection scenario yet today. Thanks peeps.

clark.kent156

Joined Aug 17, 2019
the diagram from iimagine did not work. i think it should work tho. i think i need a bigger load to trigger. the load is 4.5v. the output of the ssr has a 5v min on the output. so i will try that next. any suggestions is welcome while i try this. thanks peeps.

clark.kent156

Joined Aug 17, 2019
so i changed the load to a little 12v laptop fan. and the power source to a 9v battery. direct test shows it will run the battery, just not at full speed. that being so, i put them in the circuit, according to the image, and still no go. would it help if i attached some pictures of the circuit? i have it all mounted on a pc of plywood for easy testing.