Hall effect sensor info required

Simon Boyd

Joined Feb 9, 2016
Hi all,

I have inherited a project and my electronics is rusty to say the least.
I need to identify a hall effect sensor but it would be extremely difficult to remove it.
Can it be identified from this photo? Or could I figure it out buzzing out the leads.

Next question - What would be the best way to get the output of the hall effect sensor to switch a signal line on and off?

Once I know what the hall effect sensor is I will draw out a diagram.

Sorry Im not an electronics guy and trying to learn

Attachments

Simon Boyd

Joined Feb 9, 2016
3 leads, the colors are brown, red and yellow but that is a servo style lead that would of been attached to the back of the sensor in a housing.

It is on a fold out prop on a glider, when the prop lines up with the fold out pylon it allows the pylon to retract into the fuselage, well that's the idea anyway. If the prop isn't inline with the pylon I don't want it to be able to retract as this could damage the glider. So far all the control and safety has been done with logic switches in software and the hardware is simple micro switches.

This should help give you the overall idea. And show the point at which I am stuck.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
One of the RC colours for servo are traditional Brown/Red/Orange sometimes the orange looks Yellow.
Brown Gnd, Red +ve and orange signal. The traditional colours maybe have been observed.?
If this is so you check the output.
Max.

Simon Boyd

Joined Feb 9, 2016
Am I right in thinking that I have a common ground, +ve to power the sensor and switched +ve out when the magnet lines up with the sensor.

Sorry I'm a noob

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Depends on the output, NPN/PNP, they are generally open collector, you could try powering the brown & red and check the orang/yellow for voltage, if initially no change, alternately place a 10k resistor from orange to either brown or red.
Use brown as meter reference.
This would be my approach I think.
Max.

Simon Boyd

Joined Feb 9, 2016
Now for the crux -

How would I go about making the hall effect sensor turn on/off a signal line to a servo or alternatively cut the power to the servo.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
No. one you need a magnet to operate, these apparently are not the ferrous metal flag type.
The prox may be able to switch the servo directly by using the servo as the prox load, but you may need an inversion, which could be done by a small mosfet, 2n7000 etc.
Max.