Half wave rectifier

Pickles

Joined Mar 13, 2015
I would recommend LTSpice but the learning curve is steep. I think it would distract from the problem at hand. Doesn't your school use a software tool such as Multisim?

https://www.analog.com/en/design-center/design-tools-and-calculators/ltspice-simulator.html#

You get the values from the trace and the given parameter for the circuit.
Yes they told me to use Multism but I am waiting for the tutor to come back to me with activation codes etc, as they aren't working.

I just want to try and get these questions answered when I am off work for the weekend as during the week I don't get much time to do it.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Amplitude, cycles, frequency, peak to peak and RMS?
You only need two. The rest are redundant. (Sometimes you need phase angle but this is unimportant in your case.)
(You may also need DC offset. But let's ignore that too.)
Let's cut to the chase (to avoid playing the game of 101 Q & A).
All you need is amplitude and frequency.
You can derive RMS and peak-to-peak from amplitude.
Which of the three values, amplitude, RMS, peak-to-peak do you know for both input and output waveforms?

Pickles

Joined Mar 13, 2015
You only need two. The rest are redundant. (Sometimes you need phase angle but this is unimportant in your case.)
(You may also need DC offset. But let's ignore that too.)
Let's cut the chase (to avoid playing the game of 101 Q & A).
All you need is amplitude and frequency.
You can derive RMS and peak-to-peak from amplitude.
Which of the three values, amplitude, RMS, peak-to-peak do you know for both input and output waveforms?
The only figures I can see on the diagram is 5 V pk and 1KHz.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I don't understand were you get any values from to work out the average.

Yes I can do Calculus.
What is the input voltage as a function of time. Assume that the waveform is at 0 V at t=0.

What is the output voltage as a function of time if you assume that the voltage drop across the diode is 0 V when forward biased?

What is the output voltage as a function of time if you assume that the voltage drop across the diode is 0.7 V when forward biased?

If you know v(t) and that it is periodic with period T, how do you find the average value of v(t)?