Half Bridge high and low side driver

artmaster547

Joined Jan 6, 2016
Hi all
I am looking for a half bridge HIGH AND LOW SIDE DRIVER, at the moment I have found the IRS2110 I wondered if anyone had any experience using this if so is better to look for something that performs in a better manner or if anyone had any suggestions they would be warmly welcome.

Kind Regards

Art

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
That could probably be a good starting point.
What are you intending to drive?
Will the load be static or switching frequently?
Volts and amps?
You reall do need to give us quite a bit more info.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Hi all
I am looking for a half bridge HIGH AND LOW SIDE DRIVER, at the moment I have found the IRS2110 I wondered if anyone had any experience using this if so is better to look for something that performs in a better manner or if anyone had any suggestions they would be warmly welcome.

Kind Regards

Art
I've been using the IRS 2101 (not the IRS2110, sorry) with enormous success. Check this thread, it gets interesting after post #182.

qrb14143

Joined Mar 6, 2017
I have recently built an H-Bridge motor drive using the LT1160 and found that it worked pretty well and it has the added perk of having an LT Spice model.

I'm also just waiting for some PCBs to arrive for another H-Bridge motor drive using the Microchip MIC4605 which was quarter the price of the LT option.

artmaster547

Joined Jan 6, 2016
Questions, what type of load are you planning on switching with the H-bridge? Amps? Volts? Frequency? Duty factor?
The frequency is something I will be changing between 1kHz to 40kHz, this will be switching just a half bridge, voltage across the half bridge will be +175V on the positive rail and -175V on the negative rail and the power delivered to the load will be 37.5W

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
The frequency is something I will be changing between 1kHz to 40kHz, this will be switching just a half bridge, voltage across the half bridge will be +175V on the positive rail and -175V on the negative rail and the power delivered to the load will be 37.5W
Are you planning to use isolators between the load and the logic? Because if you do, you'll have a hard time switching the mosfets at such a high frequency.

qrb14143

Joined Mar 6, 2017
Do you require 100% duty cycle for the top side switch as this will eliminate high side drivers that rely on a bootstrap capacitor?

artmaster547

Joined Jan 6, 2016
I advice against PWM'd both ends of the H bridge. The normal practice is to leave the bottom on, while PWM'ing the high side. And turning both Mosfets off when no power is being applied.
I'm using a half bridge and using the half bridge to create a sinusoidal output so will involve switching top and bottom, I will have logic before the gate drive to add in deadtime and stop shoot through

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I'm using a half bridge and using the half bridge to create a sinusoidal output so will involve switching top and bottom, I will have logic before the gate drive to add in deadtime and stop shoot through
I've just done a comparison of both the 2110 and the 2101, and it seems that the main difference is precisely that one uses separate grounds (2110) and the other one does not (2101). So yes, the 2110 seems to be a better fit to what you're doing, and it should also be able to handle what you're going to throw at them. Especially the frequency. Since the 2110 has a rise/fall time of about 125ns, the top theoretical frequency that it can handle is more than 2.5 MHz! ... but that will of course depend on the Mosfets that you'll be using. Which one did you have in mind?

artmaster547

Joined Jan 6, 2016
a
I've just done a comparison of both the 2110 and the 2101, and it seems that the main difference is precisely that one uses separate grounds (2110) and the other one does not (2101). So yes, the 2110 seems to be a better fit to what you're doing, and it should also be able to handle what you're going to throw at them. Especially the frequency. Since the 2110 has a rise/fall time of about 125ns, the top theoretical frequency that it can handle is more than 2.5 MHz! ... but that will of course depend on the Mosfets that you'll be using. Which one did you have in mind?
I haven't selected a FET yet this is something I wanted to test out in simulation thanks for confirming that though really appreciate it :) if anyone has an LTSpice model for the 2110 and could post it here that would be really appreciated

Kind Regards

Art