H-Bridge modified sine wave inverter, IRS2453?

jlawley97

Joined Oct 5, 2019
Hi,
I am trying to invert a ~160Vdc voltage to 120Vac 60hert. For my application a modified sine wave would be more than enough but when I started out my boss gave me a schematic for a simple square wave inverter using the IRS2453. Now that I have gotten it to work in real life I am starting to realie that a square wave inverter would create way too much heat so I am looking into modified sinewave inverter.

My main question is: Can the IRS2453 be used in such a way that it can be a modified sine wave inverter?
Ive started to think about it my self and it started too convoluted for it to be worth it. So, If it cant be done easily is there another IC that is similar to the IRS in terms of small(ish) foot print and minimal external circuitry ?

I have already seen circuits that use like 3 555 timers and a massive IC but they are from 10 years ago so I assume there has been progression since then
(I posted this in a different forum but got no responses so I deleted that and posted here instead)

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
It's not surprising that you didn't get any responses.
If you have to ask this question, you shouldn't be attempting a project like this.
Your "Boss" gave you a schematic ????
You didn't specify where you are getting ~160VDC, and DC can be very dangerous .
You say you have ~160VDC available, but you don't have any existing AC Inverters ?????
Is your DC Voltage Regulated, or sourced from something like Solar-Panels or Wind-Mills ???
You have not specified the Current Level that you expect to need.
This is not a simple project.
You can probably purchase a much more reliable, and complete, manufactured Inverter
for less than you are going to spend trying to DIY it.

Explain you situation in detail, and you may get some valuable suggestions.

jlawley97

Joined Oct 5, 2019
It's not surprising that you didn't get any responses.
If you have to ask this question, you shouldn't be attempting a project like this.
Your "Boss" gave you a schematic ????
You didn't specify where you are getting ~160VDC, and DC can be very dangerous .
You say you have ~160VDC available, but you don't have any existing AC Inverters ?????
Is your DC Voltage Regulated, or sourced from something like Solar-Panels or Wind-Mills ???
You have not specified the Current Level that you expect to need.
This is not a simple project.
You can probably purchase a much more reliable, and complete, manufactured Inverter
for less than you are going to spend trying to DIY it.

Explain you situation in detail, and you may get some valuable suggestions.
Yeah it is my boss, I have no problem saying if it was me who came up with it. I honestly know the most about EE in my building which is a little sad yes.

but anyways if anyone searches this and has a similar project:
I ended up using 2 IRS2186 and a generic PIC micro controller chip. I used the mircocontroller to generate the PWM I wanted. I have 2 seperate pin generating waves that are "180" out of phase that each feed 1 high and 1 low input on the 2 IRS2186s. It work on the prototype board so far.