Guy who doesn't know what he's doing trying to fix his laptop

Thread Starter

Amped_86

Joined Jun 28, 2018
26
So like an idiot I thought I could easily replace the keyboard in my laptop as some inputs were not responding. In the process of replacing it, I think I did more damage than good. You can see from the photos below that I damaged two ribbon cable connectors. I also pinched one of the antenna cables going to the wireless card. I broke off a couple of plastic nubs here and there and it looks like there might be exposed wire leading to one of the connectors.

Alas, the computer works but is there any danger of an electrical fire from the exposed wire or broken connectors? PXL_20220723_225716579.jpgPXL_20220723_225758918.jpgPXL_20220723_230846963.jpgPXL_20220723_224528140.jpgPXL_20220723_225836649.jpg
 

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
6,815
Alas, the computer works but is there any danger of an electrical fire from the exposed wire or broken connectors?
Not likely but if you want to be cool about it some RTV would help cover the exposed areas. This will possibly prevent future corrosion.

Ron
 

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
1,522
How did you manage to do all that damage? Were you trying to lift or force the connectors? The damage would be potentially much worse if you actually lifted pads from the motherboard. Please, don't mind me asking. I'm just curious.

Kind regards, Samuel Lourenço
 

Thread Starter

Amped_86

Joined Jun 28, 2018
26
How did you manage to do all that damage? Were you trying to lift or force the connectors? The damage would be potentially much worse if you actually lifted pads from the motherboard. Please, don't mind me asking. I'm just curious.

Kind regards, Samuel Lourenço
I'm not that smart. I don't have a lot of foresight lol. I'm fortunate the computer still works
 

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
2,043
Not likely but if you want to be cool about it some RTV would help cover the exposed areas. This will possibly prevent future corrosion.

Ron
If you are not much of a craftsman and lacking dexterity, I would leave everything as is. If you start smearing acetic acid curing adhesive everywhere, you might end up with some corrosion and acid vapor damage to connectors and parts. The molded pieces in a laptop are carefully designed to no parts should interfere (touch) any other parts and the odds that two of your errors and exposed wires happen to occupy the same space and touch is very low. I'd put it together snd try it.
 

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
6,815
If you are not much of a craftsman and lacking dexterity, I would leave everything as is. If you start smearing acetic acid curing adhesive everywhere, you might end up with some corrosion and acid vapor damage to connectors and parts. The molded pieces in a laptop are carefully designed to no parts should interfere (touch) any other parts and the odds that two of your errors and exposed wires happen to occupy the same space and touch is very low. I'd put it together snd try it.
Then again on the other hand be happy it works and leave well enough alone. :)

Ron
 

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
6,260
As far as danger of fire goes, all of the connections involved seem to be low voltage and current. Save the white wire which doesn’t look badly damaged enough to be a problem.

You can rent easy concerning a fire hazard.
 

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
1,879
A bigger hammer and prybar will solve it by sending the laptop to the trash can. Better play with Legos. The good thing is something was learned.
 

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
2,043
A bigger hammer and prybar will solve it by sending the laptop to the trash can. Better play with Legos. The good thing is something was learned.
We'll only know that a lesson was learned if his next computer malfunction doesn't lead to similar results. That is, he either asks someone else for help or he uses a bit more finesse.
 

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
12,690
The TS is incredibly fortunate to have the computer still functional. Quit while it still is working.
When keys stop working, it is often because of dirt or crumbs inside. the fix is simple:
With the computer OFF and unplugged, turn it on its side so that the keyboard is vertical. GENTLY rub your hand up and down the keyboard, pressing the keys a bit. Keep this up for at least a minute.
After that, return the computer to the normal operating position, switch it on, it should work again until next time. and be more careful to not get crumbs into the keyboard.
 

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
497
There can be an amazing build-up of dust under the keys as well; blowing between the keys with "canned air" (like "Dust Blaster" from Dollarama) or a compressed air hose (be a little careful with that because it might be powerful enough to blow away keycaps) should be rewarding.
 
Top