Gun Discussion

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
You know you're in Texas when the phrase "bicycle-mount gun rack" is part of normal conversation... ;)
Haha I've never seen one; I sorta made it up, but it sounds handy to me. Might have to make one. I found out that one of the trails goes behind a rifle range. Could make a wholesome whole-day family outing out of that.

Actually, turns out there is such a thing:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I wonder how long a scope would stay sighted in, riding down a bumpy trail on a bike with no suspension.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Probably nothing, but be advised that lots of cops (and some others) would run the SN through NCIC, just for grins. It will come back as registered to someone and/or stolen. If it's registered to someone other than you, no harm, no foul. If it's registered to you, and you don't care who knows, still no problem. If it happened to come back as stolen, that's a different story.
In most places if it doesn't come back as reported stolen it won't come back at all because only Hawaii and the District of Columbia require registration of firearms (four others require registration of "assault weapons"). At the federal level registration is prohibited by law and nine states prohibit it as the state level. Some cities and counties require it at their level.

I was seriously considering taking a position in Hawaii. Now I'm not.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I wish I could get a better pic but my phone was zoomed in all the way already.
I'm glad for THAT!

I don't know how well that .45 is going to do against his hide. If it was a 9mm I'd be tempted to through it at him to distract his attention while I tried to get a head start (which, if he was intent on chasing me, would not due me a lot of good since I am pretty slow for a human and a gator can flat get up and boogie).

Actually, I imagine a 9mm will do just fine as long as you hit it in the head and into the brain. The hide is pretty thin there and their skulls aren't that think (at least that's my understanding). But I would definitely prefer the .45 ACP.

Before anybody says it, I realize that alligator attacks are not common and that "he probably has more to fear from me than I do from him" and all that crap. I don't care. Seeing an alligator of man-eating proportions is the only excuse I need to carry a gun on my bicycle.
I'm the same way when I used to go out in the woods (and would be the same way today if I every go walking anywhere on the mountain). If I encounter a bear or mountain lion (which to date I have only done while in a vehicle), I plan to give it plenty of ground and all the time in the world to wander away (that's also my policy when I encounter them in a car). I do not want a confrontation and I'm not at all interested in doing anything to start one because (if for no other reason), gun or no gun, I'm far from certain of the outcome. I always keep in mind that wild animals have absolutely no sense of moderation and they don't fight fair -- they play to win and they play for keeps. So if it comes down to a confontation that can't be avoided, I want some kind of equalizer -- and I have no intention of fighting fair, either! That magazine's gonna get emptied!

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
For gators you typically want a .22 or .17hrm to not damage the hide. If its for self preservation anything less then a 30-06 your gambling. Because a gators skull is so thick on the sides a .45 can bounce right off it. What ever you do you wanna shoot on the top of the head. 2-6 inches behind the eyes. "The soft spot"

Also be quick FFW is issuing gator permits right now for this season.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
For gators you typically want a .22 or .17hrm to not damage the hide. If its for self preservation anything less then a 30-06 your gambling. Because a gators skull is so thick on the sides a .45 can bounce right off it. What ever you do you wanna shoot on the top of the head. 2-6 inches behind the eyes. "The soft spot"

Also be quick FFW is issuing gator permits right now for this season.
In most situations in which I would find myself contemplating shooting at a gator, damaging the hide would be WAY down on the priority list. I would be much more along the mindset of "empty the damn magazine"! :D

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Then you want a 9mm or 10mm power point super sonic ammo. Also aim for top of skull too. You can empty 10 shots into the body and limbs and like wolverine he'll just spit em out. You'll need to crack the skull or hit the brain.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
That's what I've always heard -- top of the skull.

I've always wanted a Desert Eagle in .44 Magnum. Maybe someday. I've got a .454 Casull wheelgun and a .45-70 Govt Contender, which should make short work even of the side of the skull but that one shot would have to count.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Saw an ol' gater hunter on swamp people the other day pull what looked like a 9mm and shoot one in the head. I'm sure a .45 ACP would do some damage and is certainly larger than a .22 or .17

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
Saw an ol' gater hunter on swamp people the other day pull what looked like a 9mm and shoot one in the head. I'm sure a .45 ACP would do some damage and is certainly larger than a .22 or .17
A gator coming my way and getting too close...I'm thinking something belt fed or crew served.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I'm thinking something belt fed or crew served.
I don't think twin-50s on a bicycle would do well, it might in fact push you backwards. :D 5 in 38s or 16 in are certainly not transportable by bicycle.

From the Vietnam era ... a boston whaler

Probably your idea for those gators.

Last edited:

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
True story, on a canoe trail in the Everglades. You start in open water as go until

you the first opening to narrow trail, then you go until you find a trail that takes

you into a deeper trail. You have no cell service and you are alone with the other

canoes. We come out of one these narrow trails, we see 16 ' foot black alligator

slide into the water from the bank. We could only paddle quiet and hope he didn't

attack or come under the canoe and dump us out. The other canoes could not see

the alligator. We just kept going, once you commit to a trail that it. Game wardens

don't like to hear gun shots. They tell you how far a stupid bullet will travel, you

better be right before you shoot.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
I don't think twin-50s on a bicycle would do well, it might in fact push you backwards. :D 5 in 38s or 16 in are certainly not transportable by bicycle.

From the Vietnam era ... a boston whaler

Probably your idea for those gators.
What's the flag they're flying?