Ground Type Question

Snakes1100

Joined May 6, 2017
I've not been able to find a solid answer to define what the engineers refer to as a Type 1, Type 2, Type 3 or a Type 4 ground.

Can anyone give a good definition of what they're referring to in the wiring schematics?

Thanks

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You may find the answer in ANSI 607 and 607B, communication grounding, but I suspect it has to do with equi-potential grounding techniques.
Max.

Snakes1100

Joined May 6, 2017
Ive checked ANSI & google for days, the funniest thing about typing just "type 4 ground" in google, gets all Pokemon results lmfao

Anybody else?

Thank You Max!

Last edited:

Snakes1100

Joined May 6, 2017
That relates to connectors, pins & EV Charging standards, im looking for a Type 1, 2, 3 or 4 GROUND.

Thank you for the link tho Marcf

Snakes1100

Joined May 6, 2017
Well, i've been digging into that area of it as well MrChips, to find out if its related to any one of those in your picture & havent found a solid answer as they dont reference any icons with them.

At first i thought they was referencing different types of signal grounds, but i dont think thats it either.

Ive dug thru the SAE standards, but sae . org is missing their own sae ground standards pdf lol

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Aren't the definitions in the user manual? Or in a Ford's document covering ECUs et al related to their CAN implementation?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I think I have found an answer or close, apparently the differences are the Blk can be any chassis point for GND, the Blk/Wh is a ground that goes back to a GND internal to the computer.
If so, I was close with it being equi-potential bonding.
Max.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Googled "Type 1 Communication Network Ground". This lead me to ANSI-J-STD-607-B which covers Telecommunications Bonding and Grounding (Earthing) for Customers Premises. After perusing the pages I was lead to sections 5.2.6 (covering Grounding Equalizers [GE]). From there it took me to 6.3.4 and 7.4.4. I don't know if that's what you're looking for, but here's a link: http://www.raqi.ca/~ve2rae/tech_hf/tia-607-b.pdf

I also tried googling Type 2 electrical grounding and found mostly information pertaining to grounding electrical services, which is not the same as communications networking. Hope this helps some. Didn't google Types 3 or 4.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Post #10 pertains to automotive type GND, in this case a Ford.
Which believe the OP post concerns a transmission harness.
Max.
Oh.

I see now how you got the transmission thing. Maybe you're familiar with this particular vehicle and that's how you know it's FORD. Other than your word for it I don't see anything pertaining to "Ford".

OK, forget my post on telecommunications grounding. Totally irrelavant.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Oh.

I see now how you got the transmission thing. Maybe you're familiar with this particular vehicle and that's how you know it's FORD. Other than your word for it I don't see anything pertaining to "Ford".

OK, forget my post on telecommunications grounding. Totally irrelavant.
It wasn't hard to find, the part No showed as Ford and the wire colour as Blk/Wht and being labled "Communication Ground' only makes sense that the ground would not be taken to the nearest chassis point as any other 12v device.
But would go back to the central unit to common up the Gnd SIDE.
I didn't copy where I found the info on the wire colours.
Max.

Snakes1100

Joined May 6, 2017
Thanks everyone for the feedback & help, ive pretty much have to agree with what was said as it relating to a equi-potential ground network, im not really sure why they didnt do a bit defining in the glossary for users, ive still not found anything for the other types & have given up on figuring the rest out at this point.