Ground Symbols in Schematic Drawings

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The figure below is from an article in the June 2016 issue of Nuts and Volts. Is there any disagreement with it from the experts here?

Thanks.

View attachment 106963
I agree, but you need to accept that not everyone is going to use those symbols that way and that some schematic capture packages don't even give you the option to adhere to them.

Usually the context of use is sufficient for you to determine what is meant, but that's not always the case.

But I would recommend that YOU try to use them appropriately unless doing so would actually add to the confusion when discussing a schematic that misuses them, particularly with people that prefer that use.

thumb2

Joined Oct 4, 2015
The symbol for the 0 V, used to mark the potential reference is the 1c.
The symbol 1a is for the electrical earth, the yellow green cable in EU and green in EEUU.
Symbol 1b is the chassis.

Bertus is right !

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
The only thing I am trying to untangle is my understanding of the symbols. As many of you know, I have no formal training in electronics; what I know, I have learned through reading books, magazines, and the internet and via experimentation. I have drawn many schematics and published a fair number of them, and most (if not all) have used what is apparently the wrong symbol. I don't intend to go back and correct the mistakes of the past, but I don't want those mistakes to keep me from using the correct symbol in the future. And although I have never actually ironed my shoelaces, I have been known to take them out of my sneakers, wash them, and press them out flat to dry.
Thanks to your post I managed to finally clear my doubts as well.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I have deleted the ground symbols from my DipTrace library and replaced them with the ones shown below. If anyone wants a copy of them for their DipTrace library, PM me.
DipTrace Pwr & Ground Symbols.JPG

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I agree, but you need to accept that not everyone is going to use those symbols that way and that some schematic capture packages don't even give you the option to adhere to them.
The only schematic capture program that I use is DipTrace, which allows for the creation of any symbols one might want. So, I created those shown above, and will try to use them consistently henceforth.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
I have deleted the ground symbols from my DipTrace library and replaced them with the ones shown below. If anyone wants a copy of them for their DipTrace library, PM me.
View attachment 106996
As I mentioned in my previous post - the hollow triangle symbol needs to be treated with caution. Its most often used for the most negative side of a mains in bridge rectifier. If you connect grounded test instruments to it; expect a loud bang - if you touch it, you'll probably make more entertaining noises.

In the past; the chassis symbol has needed to be treated with caution - in the valve (tube) era, one wire of the mains lead was usually connected to chassis - with a 2 pin plug, you had a 50/50 chance of a live chassis. Early SMPSU TVs didn't have isolated PSUs until the arrival of SCART sockets made it imperative.

IMO: The earth symbol should be used for mains safety earth, and only for that.