ground loop detection

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
Hi guys

I am researching a practical technique to detect if a ground loop exists. So my question is:
What are the techniques that are available to detect ground loop.

Thanks guys!!

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
This sounds like homework.
So your "research" so far has consisted of asking us the answer to your question?
This is not a homework :)

So far, I can only find something using an exciter to inject some signal into the ground loop, then using a coil to pick up the same signal. From the amplitude of the pick up signal, we can tell there is a ground loop or not.

But I am hoping to find something better.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Ground loops are some of the most frustrating things I have ever dealt with. If you find a machine to replace the human mind for that job, be sure to post it!

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
So I have this idea, if I have multiple current sense devices placing on the ground line, take lots of reading over a period of time (say 10s), average the result. Send the data wirelessly to a host. And I should be able to work out where the ground loop might be.

My questions are:
  • How do I synchronize this event wirelessly so all devices can start reading current at the same time?
  • If I can't synchronize this event, say I can only start this event within + and - 10ms of time, can I still get some useful data if I take lots of reading over a longer period time (say 30s)?

Capture.PNG