Going to Mars...

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
It will probably take a more innovative technology for humans to reach Mars than simple chemical reaction rockets:

Costa Rica and U.S.-based Ad Astra Rocket Company announced over the summer that it had completed a record 88-hour high-power endurance test of its Vasimr VX-200SS plasma rocket at 80 kW. The test, conducted at the company's Texas laboratory near Houston, constituted a new high-power world endurance record in electric propulsion.

upand_at_them

Joined May 15, 2010
That was about the same time span it took to cross the ocean in the 1700s. Something to think about.
Crossing the ocean on Earth brings you to a place where there's water to drink, plants to eat, animals to hunt, air to breathe, a livable climate, and protection against solar and cosmic radiation. Mars has none of that. Something to think about.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Crossing the ocean on Earth brings you to a place where there's water to drink, plants to eat, animals to hunt, air to breathe, a livable climate, and protection against solar and cosmic radiation. Mars has none of that. Something to think about.
Quite true ... I think that a human will definitely be setting foot on Mars within the next 10 years. But from that, to actually build a permanent base or settlement on Mars is going to be a huge leap ... I don't think that's going to happen within 50 years or so. Mainly because a solid economical (or even political) reason needs to exist ... science aside.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
So which comes first, Mars colonies or belters? The belters will literally have megatons of raw materials, including ice when they get to it.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
So which comes first, Mars colonies or belters? The belters will literally have megatons of raw materials, including ice when they get to it.
I'd say Mars colonies ... it's far easier to live, work and mine in a place that has at least some gravity in it.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Getting to Mars at 123,000 mph means you also have to carry enough fuel to slow you down when you get there.

A123,000 mph is fast, but the Parker Solar Probe will be going more thsn 430,000 mph by 2024.

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015
Everything I've read that was serious pretty much says that a manned mission to land on Mars is a non-starter, doomed to fail. The problems are pretty much beyond our abilities. For one, the exposure to radiation is a huge problem. Those like Musk who make lofty claims will be proven wrong, perhaps even by loss of life during such a mission.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Ships will have to have a thick layer of water for shielding, a superconductor sheath wouldn't hurt either.

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
Those like Musk who make lofty claims will be proven wrong, perhaps even by loss of life during such a mission.
It is a challenge for sure. But not insurmountable...

Crossing ocean was a non starter. Heavier than air fling machine was a non starter. Faster than sound flying machine was a non-starter. And the list goes on...

Many things were considered a non-starter for long long time. If everyone only listened to naysayers, humans would not evolve and enjoy todays way of living with technology.

The good thing is that radiation is not something new. We have ways to reproduce it and run lab tests to determine better ways to protect against it. Putting some mass as a shield is added weight but it is known way to deal with it. Also correct material can be a game changer. And more options are also possible. One could also create structures that take advantage of shapes. tilted plate means longer path for radiation particle to cross. but that also means possibility of reflection and energy is reduced with each reflection. Also space radiation largely follows solar cycle which is known to have high peaks every 11 years. So one can schedule trip when things are more favorable. I would say, have some faith...

k1ng 1337

Joined Sep 11, 2020
It is a challenge for sure. But not insurmountable...

Crossing ocean was a non starter. Heavier than air fling machine was a non starter. Faster than sound flying machine was a non-starter. And the list goes on...

Many things were considered a non-starter for long long time. If everyone only listened to naysayers, humans would not evolve and enjoy todays way of living with technology.

The good thing is that radiation is not something new. We have ways to reproduce it and run lab tests to determine better ways to protect against it. Putting some mass as a shield is added weight but it is known way to deal with it. Also correct material can be a game changer. And more options are also possible. One could also create structures that take advantage of shapes. tilted plate means longer path for radiation particle to cross. but that also means possibility of reflection and energy is reduced with each reflection. Also space radiation largely follows solar cycle which is known to have high peaks every 11 years. So one can schedule trip when things are more favorable. I would say, have some faith...
"There are no lands to the west!"

Vikings fans will love that one.