Glen's Medical Issues Thread

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
On the subject of medical problems, I was diagnosed with skin cancer (basal cell carcinoma).

I'm in a high risk category for skin cancer so I wasn't surprised or frightened that I'd been attacked by the "Sunspot Monsters" -IE- those regions that produce solar flares and produce lots of UV. So I've always avoided exposure to sun light and managed to dodge a bullet.

However, basal cell is treatable by removing the offending cells by minor surgery in an office visit. Otherwise, I'm still in pretty good health and an example of how "The Devil Takes Care Of His Own". :D

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
In my former workplace, my coworkers often talked about their unusual health problems such as esophageal (throat) cancer and prostate, colon cancer, heart attacks, and an occasional case of HIV. It reminded me of the casual talk around an "old folks home" so I wasn't surprised that Wendy had related her story about having a stroke.

Furthermore, my story (about having a little case of skin cancer that can be treated in just an office visit) is NOT a trivial issue either. I'm also at a high risk for melanoma (usually fatal) and my case of basal cell carcinoma was the moral equivalent of a 2.5 earthquake on the San Andreas Fault. However, if I'm not careful, I could get hit with an 8.5 and it's "RIP" for me.

Finally, my sympathy does go out to Wendy and all others affected by a catastrophic health event.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
To top things off, I've also contracted a stubborn case of athlete's foot.

I don't know how I got it because I'm not very athletic and I got a grade of only "C -" in high school P.E. :(

I've tried everything to get rid of it and I'm getting desperate. Does anyone know if putting my feet in a microwave oven (just on the "Low" setting for one minute) after getting out of the shower would be effective?

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008

I don't know how I got it because I'm not very athletic and I got a grade of only "C -" in high school P.E. :(

I've tried everything to get rid of it and I'm getting desperate. Does anyone know if putting my feet in a microwave oven (just on the "Low" setting for one minute) after getting out of the shower would be effective?
You are kidding about the microwave oven, aren't you? Unless you defeated the interlock switch you would have to "de-feet" yourself so you could put them into the oven.

Living in the tropics every couple of years I get a case of athlete's foot that defies the antifungal creams and pills. What has worked every time is a good long soak in a weak chlorine bleach solution. Simple, usually one treatment does it.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
On a more serious note about curing athlete's foot and jock itch (both of them are caused by the same species of fungi), I've found that certain kinds of shower soap can trigger the problem.

So I bought liquid shower gel and the problem is now only 1/4 as bad as with the old soap. I also scrubbed the old soap residue off the shower/tub which I believe has been an incubator for the fungi.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I used to get athletes foot that would not go away as well.

The simple trick I found that knocked it out permanently was to pour a cup of isopropyl alcohol in each shoe and wear them soaking wet with the stuff until they dried out.

If you don't kill the stuff in your shoes too it just comes back. ;)

What is the strategy to take care of that?
Don't sweat a lot if you have a fuzzy butt.:p

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I found that applications of Swarfega (a degreasing gel) to the affected area got rid of athlete's foot. My theory is that almost anything which changes the local environment for the bugs will restrict their life-style. The successful use of chlorine bleach and isopropyl alcohol, as mentioned above, supports that theory.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Don't they make Monkey Butt for that ???
I don't know.

A shower and a good nights sleep seems to have cured it. :p

I think its initial set in was largely due to pressure washing ( 3GPM @ 3000 PSI) farm machinery yesterday. Seems like that blasted off grime gets everywhere once you've been at it long enough. :(

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I don't know.

A shower and a good nights sleep seems to have cured it. :p

I think its initial set in was largely due to pressure washing ( 3GPM @ 3000 PSI) farm machinery yesterday. Seems like that blasted off grime gets everywhere once you've been at it long enough. :(
So, you used a pressure washer on your butt?

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015

Glenn I say soak your feet in 5.25% w/w aqueous NaOCl solution (like liquid chlorine bleach from supermarket) for 1 minute (*no* longer) twice daily for one week. Always rinse after soaking! Treatment will cause temporary dermatitis but it heals fast and fungus will be totally cured if solution was stronger than 4.5% w/w
To avoid COCl2 lung injury don't smoke or have open flame in room during treatment!

Also don't use treatment on mucosa and other delicate tissue!

PS HP will go ballistic if she reads this message but it works well and is safe as long as concentration is less than 8% w/w and you know enough to stop if you're having adverse reaction to treatments!

Last edited:

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
Living in the tropics every couple of years I get a case of athlete's foot that defies the antifungal creams and pills. What has worked every time is a good long soak in a weak chlorine bleach solution. Simple, usually one treatment does it.
DickCappels Sry I missed your post before making mine:oops:! But I like yours cuz your advice is more conservative than mine and still works:)!

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
The simple trick I found that knocked it out permanently was to pour a cup of isopropyl alcohol in each shoe and wear them soaking wet with the stuff until they dried out.
Careful with that cuz you can get enough transdermal absorption to make tipsy:eek:! I know is isopropanol not ethanol but you could still get a buzz:D