Glad I'm not a passenger

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.northjersey.com/story/n...aics-drainage-system-during-flood/5394430002/
A Newark woman went for a mile-long ride under the city of Passaic during Monday's flash flood. She survived the ordeal after being "shot out" into the Passaic River, a result authorities referred to as "miraculous."

Nathalia Bruno, 24 and a driver for DoorDash, was in Passaic on Monday afternoon when she attempted to drive through deep water near High Street and Benson Avenue, said Passaic Fire Chief Patrick Trentacost.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009

My old ship burned near the same pier at that base. Fighting a fire with salt water works but it will destroy everything the fire missed.

Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
How'd the peaceful protesters get aboard ship?
I hope not. Looks like she was having a overhaul with all the work-boxes on the flight deck. The smoke looks like a typical low energy combustibles fire in living and work quarters. Unlikely ordinance was onboard and even so it would be locked in the safety magazine deep inside the ship that could be flooded in an emergency.

Last edited:

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Heat-activated overhead sprinkler heads with potable water aren't a whole lot better in an office building. Lots of collateral damage to paper documents and electronics among other things. Especially after the fire hoses got involved. Got the tee-shirt for that one...

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/12/us/ship-explosion-san-diego-naval-base/index.html
t's unclear what started the fire. When the fire was first reported Sunday morning, it was said to be in the lower vehicle storage area, Sobeck said, a "huge, open area where you store a lot of marine equipment and everything else."
There is no ordnance on board, Sobeck said, "which was our initial concern" in ensuring safety on and around the ship.
A safety zone has been set up around the ship, he said.
It's unclear what caused the explosion, Sobeck said. Initial reports indicated a "sort of a backdraft," or over-pressurization as the compartment started heating up.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
I hope not. Looks like she was having a overhaul with all the work-boxes on the flight deck. The smoke looks like a typical low energy combustibles fire in living and work quarters. Unlikely ordinance was onboard and even so it would be locked in the safety magazine deep inside the ship that could be flooded in an emergency.

I think it started in a cargo hold.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I think it started in a cargo hold.
That's the usual case for a closed space fire on a ship. A small fire is undetected until it flashes over in a explosion (over-pressure). All sailors are firemen so they know how to handle this type of fire but it's extremely damaging to the ship in most cases because first you need to locate the heart of the fire, build a interior heat barrier by filling up compartments with water on the sides and bottom, then drown the fire after containment on the top. You do this in a dark steel prison, in the heat, in rooms filled with smoke. It's something they practice starting from boot-camp.

Last edited:

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
That's the usual case for a closed space fire on a ship. A small fire is undetected until it flashes over in a explosion (over-pressure). All sailors are firemen so they know how to handle this type of fire but it's extremely damaging to the ship in most cases because first you need to locate the heart of the fire, build a interior heat barrier by filling up compartments with water on the sides and bottom, then drown the fire after containment on the top. You do this in a dark steel prison, in the heat, in rooms filled with smoke. It's something they practice starting from boot-camp.

Sounds good then although they said it could still burn for quite a while.

Not as bad though as these two, where hell literally broke loose. You'd think this couldnt happen.

[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centralia_mine_fire

[2]
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/giant-hole-ground-has-been-fire-more-40-years-180951247/

In both cases i dont think they even know how much reserves are left to burn before the fires could go out naturally.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
What good is a warship without ordnance.
What you gonna shoot at them....your middle finger?

Brzrkr
It's a lot safer to have no ordnance when your ship is being repaired or in non-operational status as this so clearly shows. The white floating ship at the front of the pier is where the crew stays during a overhaul, there are no 24 hour watches checking weapons spaces during repair periods so all weapons are removed from the ship normally.

uss-bonhomme-richard-fire (1).jpg

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I was impressed with that picture in our news over the weekend. 203,000 metric tons dead displacement. That is big. The George H.W. Bush aircraft carrier is only 100,000 tons.

All they need is a little duct tape.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I was impressed with that picture in our news over the weekend. 203,000 metric tons dead displacement. That is big. The George H.W. Bush aircraft carrier is only 100,000 tons.

All they need is a little duct tape.
Duct tape is insufficient in this case. Bubble gum and a few rubber bands are required for reinforcement.