Glad I'm not a passenger

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Doesn't the smoke still hanging in the air affect their performance somehow?
This stuff is very fine soot particulate pollution so I don't think it's very abrasive for most engines but it does clog filters. I've used my last house central air filter to keep the interior house air clean and there is absolutely nothing on the shelves here so people are washing old filters and recycling.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
It looks like the smoke has drifted all the way to Kansas City...

View attachment 217481
The rain is headed this way with other problems.
https://forecast.weather.gov/wwamap/wwatxtget.php?cwa=pqr&wwa=flash flood watch

* Flash Flood Watch for a portion of Northwest Oregon, including the
following areas, Northern Oregon Cascade Foothills and Northern
Oregon Cascades.

* From this afternoon through late tonight

* Locally heavy rain will be possible late this afternoon through
tonight across portions of the Cascades. This may result in flash
flooding and debris flows in the vicinity of recently burned areas
around the Riverside, Beachie Creek and Lionshead Fires.

* Loose rocks and debris will likely fall down hills during periods
of heavy rain. Flash flooding and debris flows may block roads.
This includes the Oregon Highway 22 corridor between Mehama and
Marion Forks and the Oregon Highway 224 corridor between Estacada
and Ripplebrook.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Right now I’m bing watching “Taco Chronicles“ on Net Flix covering several regions of Mexico basically of Sorts a Documentary. A really good coverage of making and eating history or origin.

kv
I haven't watched that series myself, but I have friends who have and told me it's highly commendable... unless you happen to be on a diet, of course...

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I haven't watched that series myself, but I have friends who have and told me it's highly commendable... unless you happen to be on a diet, of course...
Basically fat on fat a more of a fat story than anything else. Must mean a story of a much more needed calories than we did back then. But it continued to be social thing.

kv

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Basically fat on fat a more of a fat story than anything else. Must mean a story of a much more needed calories than we did back then. But it continued to be social thing.

kv
Keep in mind that fat is real good for you... if you're a polar explorer or an Inuit :p

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I don't know all the details but my wife tells me they used to buy tamales from a street vendor in Bessemer (Birmingham suburb) when she was a child in the 50s. I always thought that odd until flipping TV channels and ran across a show about the "Tamale Trail". Somehow Tamales became popular along the southern Mississippi River up into Tennessee. Not in restaurants but at the little mom and pop gas station/general store/cafe and street vendors back before the 7-11s or fast food drive-thrus ever showed up. Way before anything called a Mexican Restuarant was available.
https://www.southernfoodways.org/oral-history/hot-tamale-trail/

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I don't know all the details but my wife tells me they used to buy tamales from a street vendor in Bessemer (Birmingham suburb) when she was a child in the 50s. I always thought that odd until flipping TV channels and ran across a show about the "Tamale Trail". Somehow Tamales became popular along the southern Mississippi River up into Tennessee. Not in restaurants but at the little mom and pop gas station/general store/cafe and street vendors back before the 7-11s or fast food drive-thrus ever showed up. Way before anything called a Mexican Restuarant was available.
https://www.southernfoodways.org/oral-history/hot-tamale-trail/

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Yup, trains don't lose. One very fun project I did was to have a remote control installed on one of our plant switch engines. Box with a neckstrap kinda like the ole cigarette girls used to wear. It had a tilt switch in case the operator fell to go to an emergency stop. They are also used to remote operate large cranes from the ground such as used in port unloading of container ships. The brakeman loved it. There was no more arguing with the engineer over move instructions as the brakeman did it all by himself. Fun part was getting to see exactly how a diesel-electric locomotive is built and operates. Lots of air-operated safety and redundant systems incorporated in one. Huge electric-powered air compressor system in the locomotive. Even though plant switchers don't go very fast, a couple of semi-trucks got knocked over every year because they "Didn't see the train" at well marked crossings.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
God protects children, drunks and fools.

SUV is heavily damaged when hit by a train on Calumet Street in Centralia Wednesday afternoon, but the driver walks away uninjured. Photo by Tim Ferguson.