Get a docker image via command line (for running assembly language on a Mac)

arduinolego611

Joined Jan 23, 2022
I have a book called "Learn to Program with Assembly" by Johnathan Bartlett. The book told me that once I downloaded Docker and had it running, I could get an image created by the author for Mac users to be able to use the code from the book by typing the following into the terminal/commandprompt --

Code:
docker run -it --rm --mount “type=bind,src=`pwd`,target=/my-code” johnnyb61820/linux-assembly
I tried this many times, but I am getting an error message --

invalid argument "“type=bind,src=/users/hill/dockerdir,target=/my-code”" for "--mount" flag: unexpected key '“type' in '“type=bind'
See 'docker run --help'.
I really dont know enough about this topic to troubleshoot myself, and I am finding it hard to get help from already existing forum posts or tutorials.
Once I get the image, and am able to get files converted into object files and linked, I can start writing assembly language programs and learn along with this book. I appreciate any help I can get with getting over this hump.

Sorry to anyone who helped me with my last post. It was kind of a waste of time because I didnt include this step.

Last edited:

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I don't have Docker installed so I can't test it but I think a misplaced quote might be the problem.

Try:
docker run -it --rm --mount type=bind,src="`pwd`,target=/my-code” johnnyb61820/linux-assembly

I signed up for a free ORA trial so I could get a look at the book and you are doing what it says to do but the Docker documentation differs from it and given the error message I think perhaps this will fix it, if not, let me know.

arduinolego611

Joined Jan 23, 2022
I don't have Docker installed so I can't test it but I think a misplaced quote might be the problem.

Try:
docker run -it --rm --mount type=bind,src="`pwd`,target=/my-code” johnnyb61820/linux-assembly

I signed up for a free ORA trial so I could get a look at the book and you are doing what it says to do but the Docker documentation differs from it and given the error message I think perhaps this will fix it, if not, let me know.
it says dquote...which means it's looking for another quotation mark?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
unfortunately its still giving me an error message -
Does /users/hill/dockerdir exist? Since it expanded from $(pwd) it seems it must. That should be the directory on the host to mount in the Docker instance. I don’t know why it can’t find a directory you seem to be in.

arduinolego611

Joined Jan 23, 2022
Does /users/hill/dockerdir exist? Since it expanded from $(pwd) it seems it must. That should be the directory on the host to mount in the Docker instance. I don’t know why it can’t find a directory you seem to be in.
yeah I tried it just going into "documents" directory , just to be sure, and it said the same thing... but yes that is a real directory

Last edited:

arduinolego611

Joined Jan 23, 2022
besides downloading and running docker, are there any settings or steps I should do before trying to run that command from the book?

arduinolego611

Joined Jan 23, 2022
maybe I should start a new question?