Geography, and it would seem, common sense, VS contemporary 'education'

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
And so the heated dicussion ends thus:
"All I can say is that if they can make caterpillars in Peoria, Il they can sure as h... make moose in Moose Factory, Ont..." --- Rendered with utmost petulance sans the merest attempt at humor...

Some days It really doesn't pay to try...

Pounding head against wall until CNS oozes out of ears...
HP:rolleyes:

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
What's "CNS?"

John
As I expect you are well aware, 'twas a reference to that portion of my central nervous system sans the spinal cord (IOW 'brains') -- Now, are you to advise me that the EAM does not, in fact, provide a ready conduit to said tissues, I can but rejoin that said observation attests to the extremity of head trauma I have (figuratively) inflicted upon myself :D

Best regards
HP

Last edited:

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Do you have a reference of some context to get the rest of us up to speed?
Well, ok... In all fairness I doubt the 'plaintiff' was suggesting the animals are actually manufactured --- It is, nonetheless, a rather sad comment upon 'the system' that an (otherwise) compentent denizen of North America should confuse Caterpillar Inc. and the community of Moose Factory, Ont. with ranch operations...

But then who knows? Perhaps the cognitive deficit is indeed my-own?:eek: So... Next time you pleasantly regard lepidoptera or economy-sized cervidae, thank a 'blue-collar worker' for their efforts! ;):D

Best regards and no slight intended manual laborers! :):):)
HP

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Not sure where the reference is coming from but in British N.A. several 'Factories' were originally established, and were actually Forts established as fur trading posts with a Governor overseeing the operation.
The Governor usually reported to the HBC, Hudson Bay Co who were granted the large geographical area then known as Ruperts land.
Max.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Not sure where the reference is coming from but in British N.A. several 'Factories' were originally established, and were actually Forts established as fur trading posts with a Governor overseeing the operation.
The Governor usually reported to the HBC, Hudson Bay Co who were granted the large geographical area then known as Ruperts land.
Max.
Exactly!:) In that regard 'Moose Factory' was so named for its location (an island in the Moose River -- a tributary at the SW 'corner' of James Bay) -- as opposed to a manufactory of moose (or, more charitably, a 'moose ranch'):rolleyes:

Thank you for your knowledgeable post!:):):)

PS Um... I'm not certain embayments of oceans can properly be said to have 'tributaries' --- Perhaps I should have more closely attended my geography studies!:eek:;)

Best regards
HP

Last edited:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Once upon a time I heard about a bot that trawls dictionary.com for all the words that get less than 5 hits/day and then regurgitates them on electronics fora.

P.S. I made that up.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Once upon a time I heard about a bot that trawls dictionary.com for all the words that get less than 5 hits/day and then regurgitates them on electronics fora.

P.S. I made that up.
The "once upon a time..." beginning kind of gave it away but, without that, I would have bought it.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015

P.S. I made that up.

'Tis the asperities of OT...?

Awe man! --- First I'm aligned with Edgar J. Bergen -- now it seems I'm but a bot? -- Wadda world! Wadda world!!!...;)

Fairly burning in a veritable bonfire of 'lexical privilege'...
HP:cool:

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
The noble Charlie McCarthy...... yes, I see the similarities, Hmmm, the hand that pulls your string has danced on many mirrors.
Aye! There are those who thought (and, likely, still think) I pulled the strings of 'The Infinite':rolleyes:

OBTW, About your avatar --- Is the 'addition' owed to the railroad, or, rather, Walt Freeman?:eek:

Best regards
HP:)

Last edited:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Remit no regard for my disparaging OD. I am but a woebegone and invidious dullard, and my aspersions are spawned out of a covetous void of cognizance of indecorously verbose vernacular.

(OD = obiter dictum)

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Remit no regard for my disparaging OD. I am but a woebegone and invidious dullard, and my aspersions are spawned out of a covetous void of cognizance of indecorously verbose vernacular.

(OD = obiter dictum)

Well... I suppose there's some solace to be had in the observation that you find my (alleged) indecorousness covetable --- Still...:(;)

Best regards
HP