Generator synchronize

meowsoft

Joined Feb 27, 2021
Can I synchronize all generator that doesnt have speed control and another frequency ?, both nameplate is indicate same frequency, and voltage, can I just use voltage meter, frequency meter and lamp method ?, generator sets manufacturer is closed... so there is no support available from manufacture... what do you think ?, and its MCB, voltage relay and frequency relay is enough for protection ?
Its just small 8.5kw 3phase generator with gasoline machine

meowsoft

Joined Feb 27, 2021
Good luck with that with generators not designed (slip and frequency control) for paralleling.
I know its not designed to be paralled but 17kw 3p generator price is about equivalent of 500% 8.5kw 3p generator price in my area... thats very much...

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I know its not designed to be paralled but 17kw 3p generator price is about equivalent of 500% 8.5kw 3p generator price in my area... thats very much...
As usual, what possible and what's practical are two different things. I've been on a ship that lost auto-sync genset control for the ships main electrical system. A person was stationed at the SSTG steam throttle and Synchroscope indicators to manually compensate for generator(s) drift.
1651349606152.png1651349733784.png
SSTG

You can buy a modern control unit but it still needs some sort of generator prime-mover interface for auto-control.
1651350142472.png
https://www.weschler.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Sifam-KS5_datasheet.pdf

Last edited:

ThePanMan

Joined Mar 13, 2020
Unless you're spinning the two generators at exactly the same RPM, if one is ever so slightly slower they will at one point combine to produce a maximum output and as they shift they will be 180K out of phase and will cancel each other out. The video shows a rather carefully crafted rig with VFD motors. Your generators are not going to be as complex and not be able to do what the video shows.

Can you do it? How much money do you have to blow up in smoke?

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Do not try to sync these generators, but split the load across them so each will drive separate loads.
Like lighting and small appliances on one, and heaver things on the other.
Syncing generators is not a trivial thing to do and it is a great way to burn them out.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Unless you're spinning the two generators at exactly the same RPM, if one is ever so slightly slower they will at one point combine to produce a maximum output and as they shift they will be 180K out of phase and will cancel each other out. The video shows a rather carefully crafted rig with VFD motors. Your generators are not going to be as complex and not be able to do what the video shows.

Can you do it? How much money do you have to blow up in smoke?
It would be safer and much better engineering to partition a power island for each load on separate generation using a backup power transfer switch for each load sub-panel.

Last edited:

meowsoft

Joined Feb 27, 2021
It would be safer and much better engineering to partition a power island for each load on separate generation using a backup power transfer switch for each load sub-panel.
Currently I go this way... but do you think that generator is much inexpensive because that doesnt have speed control ?
Do you think its safe for using TN-C-S earthing system for this ?

meowsoft

Joined Feb 27, 2021
New projects is required to use TN-C-S system, my existing projects is using TT earthing for main system, but generator neutral is not grounded (single phase generator), only metal case is grounded for safety, and that works fine for years

meowsoft

Joined Feb 27, 2021
I think if I use TN-C-S system, neutral is bonded to earthing... so... it can connect two generator neutral together through earthing... and I think its bad idea... do you think if I use two independent earthing for two generator in each sub panel its can solve this problem ?, but another problem is... we dont have enough space for make long enough distance between two earth electrode, its only about 3 meters... thats why I have idea to synchronize that generator

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
1651360423839.png

Generators are separately derived (isolated) power so each genset can have it's own neutral for power distribution with a common earth ground to each genset neutral/ground bonding connection. Consult a local certified electrician for the proper electrical codes for your area but that usually means each backup power transfer switch needs to disconnect the utility neutral and earth with all power connected to the loads.

meowsoft

Joined Feb 27, 2021
T
View attachment 266219

Generators are separately derived (isolated) power so each genset can have it's own neutral for power distribution with a common earth ground to each genset neutral/ground bonding connection. Consult a local certified electrician for the proper electrical codes for your area but that usually means each backup power transfer switch needs to disconnect the utility neutral and earth with all power connected to the loads.
TN C S is client requirements not local code... also I was a licensed electrician too... but local code is very chaotic here... its difference from city to city... in one area neutral switching is for generator is mandatory... another area its forbidden...