Generating a spark and Resetting micro controller

Bluestar88

Joined Nov 16, 2014
Hi guys,
In order to generating sparks, I made a board with atmega32 (DIP not Smd) and RS232 interface (max 232 and DB9). But there is a problem, After generating high voltage by seting a pin of atmega32, atmega32 resets. What solutions do you suggest? any idea...

Bluestar88

Joined Nov 16, 2014
Thanks for your ideas, guys.
I wanna mention something. There is a cable that it is connected to transformer and stand, which used for generating spark, and it is connected to the micro' board from other side.
When the cable is disconnected and we generate spark there is no reset. But, when the cable is connected by generating spark, micro resets. T don't know why. It seems that cable is a problem. Do you have any idea?

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
You have to make sure where to caused the uC reset, from power or signal, you need to using the O'scope to measure the signal and power and GND of uC, although I guess that noise was came from the power, but only you can make sure and the solution refer to #5.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Spark generators produce a lot of EMI and some of it is probably getting into your system. You need to shield your electronics as much as you can and also the equipment that produces the sparks. Use EMI suppression cables if you can.

Bluestar88

Joined Nov 16, 2014
By using a shield of tinfoil, duration time that micro works well got more but the process of reset is not finished. I used the tinfoil box on atmega32 and micro could work for more time after generating spark. I checked the power by oscilloscope but it seems it is correct, but by checking the pins of crystal on micro (pin12), by generating spark, it's amplitude of signal increase more. why? is it normal or abnormal?
Do you have any idea about removing reset from micro?

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
You said the power is correct, the amplitude of crystal signal increase more, then how is the voltage level of power, is it correct?

Bluestar88

Joined Nov 16, 2014
Yeah, I checked the power of board and power of micro by oscilloscope, it's value is constant (by generating spark) but the amplitude of crystal signal increase more..