Generate 24v 20ish amps from a wall socket?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Is there any way to generate 24v 16-20 amps from a wall socket, besides a massive transformer?
Not specified is if the desired 16 to 20 amps is AC or DC, and that makes a lot of difference. And it also depends on how you define "Massive". But the short answer is "YES".
Of course a good transformer is by far the more efficient method, better than 90%, usually much better, which is easily shown by the minimal temperature rise of a good quality transformer working at full load. An AC powered High efficiency switchmode inverter is the lighter way, but a good one will cost more than the good transformer.
If the power is to be DC, then the answer is still yes, but now a switching mode power supply is required.

Cyrus Mingley

Joined Apr 18, 2020
Not specified is if the desired 16 to 20 amps is AC or DC, and that makes a lot of difference. And it also depends on how you define "Massive". But the short answer is "YES".
Of course a good transformer is by far the more efficient method, better than 90%, usually much better, which is easily shown by the minimal temperature rise of a good quality transformer working at full load. An AC powered High efficiency switchmode inverter is the lighter way, but a good one will cost more than the good transformer.
If the power is to be DC, then the answer is still yes, but now a switching mode power supply is required.
Yeah, I need DC. My main concern was cost.

Cyrus Mingley

Joined Apr 18, 2020
I don't know what to tell you. The worst case will be to buy the SMPS, try it, then get a bigger one if the performance is not what you require. I hesitate to recommend that path is there is any reasonable alternative.
Yeah, the motor is only rated at 400w but online it was saying it draws 30 amps.. is there any way to connect switching power supplies to output more current?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Yeah, the motor is only rated at 400w but online it was saying it draws 30 amps.. is there any way to connect switching power supplies to output more current?
I've never tried to do it, but I have heard that it is possible to connect two power supplies in parallel. How they behave when you do this and what additional steps you need to take is not something I am very familiar with. I would find out what my needs were and get a supply designed to meet the requirements. That, I guess, is the difference between an engineer and a hacker/tinkerer. I'm not trying to re-purpose something at low to minimum cost. I am also not trying to throw shade on your project, I'm just trying to help as best I can, but I'm kinda outa gas here.

Cyrus Mingley

Joined Apr 18, 2020
I've never tried to do it, but I have heard that it is possible to connect two power supplies in parallel. How they behave when you do this and what additional steps you need to take is not something I am very familiar with. I would find out what my needs were and get a supply designed to meet the requirements. That, I guess, is the difference between an engineer and a hacker/tinkerer. I'm not trying to re-purpose something at low to minimum cost. I am also not trying to throw shade on your project, I'm just trying to help as best I can, but I'm kinda outa gas here.
Right on, that helps a lot. i'll do some research, but I've learned some more recently and it basically sounds like i don't need to worry too much about startup overdraw because this motor has a built in speed controller and once i get a throttle i can gradually start it from 0 to reduce a huge start draw. The controller is rated 30 amps but the motor won't draw that for my purposes i don't think

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Right on, that helps a lot. i'll do some research, but I've learned some more recently and it basically sounds like i don't need to worry too much about startup overdraw because this motor has a built in speed controller and once i get a throttle i can gradually start it from 0 to reduce a huge start draw. The controller is rated 30 amps but the motor won't draw that for my purposes i don't think
That's a great solution to the startup problem. Now I feel confident that you can spend the $32.00 for the SMPS, put the thing together, and have something worthwhile. If you find any subsequent shortcomings you can deal with those in REV 2.0

Cyrus Mingley

Joined Apr 18, 2020
That's a great solution to the startup problem. Now I feel confident that you can spend the $32.00 for the SMPS, put the thing together, and have something worthwhile. If you find any subsequent shortcomings you can deal with those in REV 2.0
Yes, seems like i've worked it out for the most part. Thanks for the help, it really helps.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, and indeed 24 volt switching power supplies that are clean enough to power a motor are available, both new and used. And since that voltage is also used in some industrial systems you might find a quite good supply surplus quite cheap.
And certainly using a speed controller to ramp up the speed avoids the inrush problem totally.

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Is there any way to generate 24v 16-20 amps from a wall socket, besides a massive transformer?
Whatever you intend to pull from a socket- make sure your wiring behind the socket (and the socket itself) can handle the energy, otherwise you will throw a breaker, or wind up with a fire in your wall.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Whatever you intend to pull from a socket- make sure your wiring behind the socket (and the socket itself) can handle the energy, otherwise you will throw a breaker, or wind up with a fire in your wall.
Consider that 24 volts and 20 amps equates to 480 watts, and that a 15 amp circuit at 120 volts is able to deliver 1800 watts, your supply will be drawing less than a quarter of the rated power for the outlet. And do not mistake the low voltage current draw for the line voltage current draw. Your power supply would draw 4 amps if it were 100% efficient, probably it would draw less than 5 amps, if it is reasonably efficient.