General idea of panel mount device spacing.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I am working on a small project that needs a potentiometer w/ small knob, 2 bannana jack mounting posts, and a female phone jack receptacle (std. size, not the mini). Finding the bore size of the mtg. hole is no problem, but is there a standard overall diameter for spacing them? I could always just guesstimate it but does a standard exist?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Operationally, it makes no difference. I like symmetry. Whatever looks good. I like knobs on the right, maybe because I'm a lefty and have better fine motor control with my right hand..

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I was thinking more in terms of spacing than arrangement. There were panel standards for conduit penetrations and most panel device manufacturers had panel cutout templates and spacing specifications for their particular devices so I was looking for a general spacing standard if such exists. Not just the bore size (I have that) but the overall backside spacing to allow for wiring connections and clearances.

hexreader

Joined Apr 16, 2011
Banana Jacks (assuming 4mm) are usually spaced apart by 19mm (0.75 inches). This allows adaptors to be used directly.

EDIT: - to be clear, 19mm between centres.

I know nothing about the other issues.

Last edited: