Galvanically Isolated MOSFET/IGBT Gate Drive

ashkarmalik

Joined Jul 1, 2012
Hello Peoples,
I am working on a High Voltage MOSFET/IGBT gate driver that is to be used as a half bridge with independent control signal from a isolated source(M.C.U) . I need to drive high power IGBT 600v @ 100A .With a sampling frequency of 15khz to 25khz.
The main problem is the availability of off-the-shelf Isolated drivers and the huge cost involved to buy them.
Could some one through some light on a the Gate driver for our purpose.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The first thing that comes to mind is an opto-isolator and a gate driver chip.
I'm not the best at this design; I can't name the chips right now, but I believe they are fast enough for the job.

ashkarmalik

Joined Jul 1, 2012
Your Solution would be a good Start up Design.But I think Transformer Coupled Driver with a Dedicated GDT would be a better option .

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Now you're completely outside my abilities. Be patient. Smarter people than me will be on site after the sun comes up in the western hemisphere.

(I don't mean we don't have some great engineers in western Europe, I mean they don't usually log in at this time of day.)

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Although the IR2110 will not isolate the drive logic from the mains powered bridge.
Vss & COM (13 & 2) must be connected.
Also with no high side switching the IR2110 is not really needed.
Max.

ashkarmalik

Joined Jul 1, 2012
The main Problem is to make a Galvanic-ally isolated IGBT Gate driver for my Controller card.
So a Discrete system based Gate driver with Transformer coupling is required.

Last edited:

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
The main Problem is to make a Galvanic-ally isolated IGBT Gate driver for my Controller card.
So a Discrete system based Gate driver with Transformer coupling is required.
So are you saying you already have a board and need a replacement transformer?? If so which schematic?

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
If you want to completely isolate the triggering signal from the mosfet, I suggest you take a look at this circuit designed by @JDT. I've successfully used it before myself, and I believe it's perfectly capable of working at the 25Khz frequency that you want.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Although the IR2110 will not isolate the drive logic from the mains powered bridge.
Vss & COM (13 & 2) must be connected.
Also with no high side switching the IR2110 is not really needed.
Max.
I went with those because in the first post he said "half bridge". And to me a half bridge is one high side and one low side switch, correct? One of those "moving goalpost" threads it seems.

And while not "galvanic" the isolation of those gate drivers are guaranteed to 600V according to the data sheets.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
If you want to completely isolate the triggering signal from the mosfet, I suggest you take a look at this circuit designed by @JDT. I've successfully used it before myself, and I believe it's perfectly capable of working at the 25Khz frequency that you want.
That's the opto-isolator and gate driver I suggested in post #2.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
One of those "moving goalpost" threads it seems.
When the TS isn't very sure about what's available, it gets as bad as a "twenty questions" thread where we try to pry the information out, one question at a time. I don't mind the threads that are driven by ignorance. That is a valid reason for asking.

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
I am going to try reading between the lines. I think the TS is looking for a high side mosfet driver that can operate at greater than 100 volts and not be a pain to implement.

Look at the On Semi NCP5181. It might do what you are looking for. The off the shelf, high voltage, high side, mosfet drivers are not really there yet. (Pretty slow for today's switching speeds.) Look especially at the "Allowable output slew rate".

ashkarmalik

Joined Jul 1, 2012
I think there is confusion on what I want to achieve,So I just Clarify that first.
I am Working on a Motor Drive With 6 IGBT to be controlled.These IGBT Should Be working in the 20~ 25 Khz Range.
These IGBT Modules are rated at 600v @100~200A each.Since Supply voltages are high (~150v).So I need to provide Isolation to my Gate driver so as in any Mis-happening these IGBTs Doesn't Blow up my Logic system.This is the reason I want to design a GDT based Isolation and IGBT Driver Circuit.I doesn't have any Schematic of the GDT based Driver circuit.So I am in need of a Good Reference design.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
I think there is confusion on what I want to achieve,So I just Clarify that first.
I am Working on a Motor Drive With 6 IGBT to be controlled.These IGBT Should Be working in the 20~ 25 Khz Range.
These IGBT Modules are rated at 600v @100~200A each.Since Supply voltages are high (~150v).So I need to provide Isolation to my Gate driver so as in any Mis-happening these IGBTs Doesn't Blow up my Logic system.This is the reason I want to design a GDT based Isolation and IGBT Driver Circuit.I doesn't have any Schematic of the GDT based Driver circuit.So I am in need of a Good Reference design.
What we don't understand is why you would rather use a transformer that an opto isolator. Both provide the isolation you are looking for.

http://www.mouser.com/Passive-Compo...yzf3ke&Keyword=gate+drive+transformer&FS=True

http://www.mouser.com/new/optoelectronics/optocouplers-photocouplers/high-speed-optocouplers/n-6zsft