Frequency Response of Cascaded Integrators

Andrew1234

Joined Feb 16, 2015
If I create an op amp integrator, and select R and C such that the corner frequency is 100Khz, what will be the frequency response of two such integrators one after the other?

The Electrician

Joined Oct 9, 2007
If I create an op amp integrator, and select R and C such that the corner frequency is 100Khz, what will be the frequency response of two such integrators one after the other?
What's the frequency response of the first one alone? Knowing that gets you well on the way to answering your question.

Andrew1234

Joined Feb 16, 2015
Hi -- the first one has cutoff of 100Khz. I was wondering what happens if I put two of those in a row.. Is it still 100Khz, but with faster rolloff?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Obviously if one integrator has a -3dB corner of 1kHz, then the rolloff of two in cascade will have a rolloff of -6db at 1KHz.
Also it should be apparent that the rolloff rate of the two will be twice the rolloff rate of one.
So at what frequency would the rolloff be -3dB for two in series?

Andrew1234

Joined Feb 16, 2015
yes, thanks -- I did check the microchip software. but presently I'm looking at integrators, and the software doesn't have any options to force that topology (that I could see). Thanks Crutschow

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
A true integrator does not have a "corner frequency." It has a response whose magnitude is Vout/Vin = 1/2πfRC; that is, a steady roll-off at all frequencies without any breakpoint. A single-pole lowpass filter, on the other hand, does have a corner frequency; its response is flat from DC up to that corner frequency, whereupon it begins to descend at a rate of -20db/decade.

If you're actually planning on cascading two integrators (why would you want to do such a thing?), the response of the resulting circuit will be the square of the response for a single integrator, as I gave it above.

If what you're doing is trying to design a multi-pole low-pass filter, use the software that was recommended.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slyt423/slyt423.pdf

I'm trying to figure out how these sigma-delta converters work, as in the paper (see URL). See page 3, where greater noise shaping is achieved by cascading two integrators.
Ah. Now I see.

Understanding sigma-delta ADC's is certainly a non-trivial undertaking; I've got half a bookshelf full of books on the subject, and I'd still call my level of comprehension "sketchy."

The cascaded integrators (whether 2, 3, 4 or even more) in a sigma-delta modulator force the bulk of the quantization noise energy up into higher frequencies out of the passband, where it can be more easily filtered out using digital filtering techniques. This is what allows the Σ-Δ converter to simultaneously deliver both high resolution and high output data rate.

Sadly, getting beyond the above cursory explanation involves a whole pile of mind-bending (for me, anyway) math, which I have yet to get my mind around.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slyt423/slyt423.pdf

I'm trying to figure out how these sigma-delta converters work, as in the paper (see URL). See page 3, where greater noise shaping is achieved by cascading two integrators.
Hi,

Here is a little more information.

From the drawing we can see that the double integrator cuts frequencies sometimes much more than the single integrator, and when we get up infrequency it really cuts a lot while the single integrator doesnt cut nearly as much. In fact, the ratio of the two outputs would be a straight line ramp that ramps up (or down) as the frequency increases. For this example at w=1 we get a ratio of 1:1 but at w=10 we get 10:1, so the double integrator cuts 10 times as much at w=10. Thus, the high frequencies are attenuated much more.

Attachments