Found this site's doupleganger.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Anyone ever hear of ElectroTech online? The look and feel is remarkably similar, and the crowd is pretty close to what you see here. Unlike AAC, they do ask for donations, but then, I've wondered how AAC does it myself. Looking at the oldest posts the age is pretty close too.

While I was there I went ahead and registered under the name of QuietMan, a pseudonym I've used for years. Anything that is good enough for the Duke... (and he was a Mason too).

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Yeah, I have run across that forum myself, and I see we have some members here that get their info from there when "helping" others...... basically if someone asked them a question here they would post it there to get their answers :eek:......

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
Anyone ever hear of ElectroTech online?
There are a number of people that are members of both sites with the same name, including myself.

I've never noticed anyone plagarizing as BMorse has noted, but I have noticed some people ask the same question at both sites in order to get the benefit of answers from both groups.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I'm more inclined to believe what Steve said. I've seen common members on alot of electroincs sites. I also know there is alot of plagerism from the internet but since you can have whatever nom de' net you desire, the illusion of plagerism increases.

I considered both AllAboutCircuits and Electro-Tech when I was originally signing up for a forum. I liked the idea of the book associated with this site.

Keeping track of the threads on one electronics forum is enough for me.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
There are a number of people that are members of both sites with the same name, including myself.

I've never noticed anyone plagarizing as BMorse has noted, but I have noticed some people ask the same question at both sites in order to get the benefit of answers from both groups.

Not plagiarism, just someone making themselves look good by "knowing" the answer.... I wasn't saying its a bad thing, even I don't know everything....

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Anyone ever hear of ElectroTech online? The look and feel is remarkably similar, and the crowd is pretty close to what you see here. Unlike AAC, they do ask for donations, but then, I've wondered how AAC does it myself. Looking at the oldest posts the age is pretty close too.
I don't exactly know the history of ETO but AFAICT it is about a year older than AAC - Summer 2002. AAC went live in May 2003 with the e-book and we added a small support forum later that year. In 2006 we moved to vBulletin and expanded the forums. Since 2006 we have grown the site and content dramatically - many new sections of the e-book, Socratic, Videos, as well as vB-centric features Blogs, Albums, etc.

Hello,

They will be look alikes, becouse they both use vBulletin software.
http://www.electro-tech-online.com/
Vintage radio, also uses it:
http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php

Greetings,
Bertus
That is correct. It doesn't help that the "colours" for each site are both blue.

We share many members across each site, and aside from the subtle similarities I hope each site offers something unique to its members.

Dave

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
One site is like a finely tuned Jaguar; the other is like a Ford pick-up with overload springs. Either will get you where you want to go, but the ride is a little bumpier in the pick-up.

John

Last edited:

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
I'm members on both but I rarely post at ElectroTech. I like the personalities of the prominent members on AAC more than I do on ElectroTech. Plus AAC has an e-book, now ya can't beat that now can ya? :D

Austin