Found this device on the ground today!

mfrnfyg

Joined Sep 2, 2015
I have attached some images of a device I found on the ground today.
It seemed like a 12 volt device to me, so I took it home so I can hook it up to one of my battery packs.
When I got some, I did a bit of searching and it turns it its a Wireless V-Touch AB controller for a Ver-Mac ST-4815 solar-powered trailer mounted arrow board.
So I hooked it up to one of my battery packs and it works. It shows me the volts of my batteries, but wont display anything else because its trying to find the arrow I guess it was hooked up to.
Is it possible to re program this to make it only show the state of my batteries?
Also, how does one of these work? Where is the info stored?
I have attached some pictures of the circuitry as well as the out side housing.
Any ideas would be great!

Attachments

mfrnfyg

Joined Sep 2, 2015
It has a built in RF link (bottom of first picture). I think you are missing the unit it talks to.
Yes I am. The part it attaches to it a 800 lbs trailer with a flashing arrow on it!
Is it possible to re program this so it will only display info about my battery pack?

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
...........Is it possible to re program this so it will only display info about my battery pack?.............
I sincerely doubt it. You would have to be proficient in programming micro-controllers in order to have any chance at all. It looks like a battery monitor, but it is not.

mfrnfyg

Joined Sep 2, 2015
I sincerely doubt it. You would have to be proficient in programming micro-controllers in order to have any chance at all. It looks like a battery monitor, but it is not.
After some more reading, that basically what it is.
The arrow board is a solar powered road sign. The controller is used to monitor the voltage of the battery as well as control the arrow sight.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
If you install U6, which is likely a Maxim or similar RS232 line driver/receiver, you might find some programmability options via a terminal attached to J3 -- possibly.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Can you pull the "Ver. 4" sticker off U5? That might be a PIC ... I think I see a portion of the Microchip logo under the tape. If so, I bet you could connect an ICD right to J5.

Edit: if so, pin 1 would be ground, pin 2 would be Vdd, pin 3 would be MCLR, and 4 and 5 would be PGD/PGC.

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
After some more reading, that basically what it is.
The arrow board is a solar powered road sign. The controller is used to monitor the voltage of the battery as well as control the arrow sight.

OK......... I don't see a connector on the PCB to interface to batteries. On display, the battery voltage is displayed, but I don't see data fields that are consistent with a monitoring function. I do see where you can select arrows, which is consistent with their traffic signaling products. This device appears to be a display/remote control for one of their products. The RF link ( the red board at the bottom of the first picture) is for talking to another assembly (trailer), which might have the interfaces to monitor batteries on it. I see no evidence on this board for those features.

Think about it. If it has an RF link it is not designed to be mounted to the trailer that hold the batteries.