Found perfect case type for a small CNC machine or making it easy to just lay it out

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Mouser has these. I am about to order one.

http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg5.htm

Those front and rear panels slide off. If you can deal with those dimensions as your front panel then I think it makes it really easy to layout and cut the panel. Plus if you screw up you can always replace it with your own panel.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
It seems to me it should be possible to use the CNC to make custom boxes from plastic sheet using a sort of 'tongue and groove' joint. Machine a slot near the edge of one sheet and machine away part of the sheet thickness to leave a tongue which fits in the slot. The top and sides are glued together. The front and rear panels have a tongue all the way round so can be slid out when the bottom is removed. Screws in the bottom hold it all together and could also secure the feet.

I imagine a gcode file with the inside dimensions of the box and material thickness specified which then cuts all the parts necessary. I don't know whether my gcoding skills are up to the task though.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
It seems to me it should be possible to use the CNC to make custom boxes from plastic sheet using a sort of 'tongue and groove' joint. Machine a slot near the edge of one sheet and machine away part of the sheet thickness to leave a tongue which fits in the slot. The top and sides are glued together. The front and rear panels have a tongue all the way round so can be slid out when the bottom is removed. Screws in the bottom hold it all together and could also secure the feet.

I imagine a gcode file with the inside dimensions of the box and material thickness specified which then cuts all the parts necessary. I don't know whether my gcoding skills are up to the task though.

Is there a routing bit for beveled edges??