forward and reverse motor

paultn71

Joined Oct 22, 2019
I have a single phase 115/230v motor controlled by a momentary drum switch, to operate in forward and reverse. Im trying to change drum switch to maintain and use limits to stop at end of travel each direction.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Do you have present wiring diagram of the system?
By momentary drum switch, do you mean it is not maintained during the motor operation?
Max.

paultn71

Joined Oct 22, 2019
By momentary drum switch, do you mean it is not maintained during the motor operation?
Max.
it can be momentary or maintain. i added a pic of drum sw contacts
Max.
no, presently operator has to hold switch lever while using

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If you want maintained operation, I would think it it would be easier to use a single L-R momentary switch with return to centre to initiate either direction and a P.B. stop switch, if needed.
The L-R would pick up a reversing contactor with the limit switches in each coil circuit.
You could possible sub the L-R sw for the drum switch contacts.
Max.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
it can be momentary or maintain. i added a pic of drum sw contacts
There is no picture attached to your post?

no, presently operator has to hold switch lever while using
So, by adding limit switches, are you trying to change operation to momentary? Press a button, and the motor travels to one end. Press another, and the motor travels to the other end?

One thing omitted in your description is if the motor runs on AC or DC? Implied by this question is how is the motor reversed electrically currently? (no pun intended)

paultn71

Joined Oct 22, 2019
There is no picture attached to your post?

So, by adding limit switches, are you trying to change operation to momentary? Press a button, and the motor travels to one end. Press another, and the motor travels to the other end?

One thing omitted in your description is if the motor runs on AC or DC? Implied by this question is how is the motor reversed electrically currently? (no pun intended)
a/c

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Then you will need a retaining circuit components of some kind, as I suggested, a reversing contactor would be one solution.
You should also have interlock so immediate reversal cannot take place.
"(push lever to go opposite direction)".
What is the HP of the motor?
Max.

paultn71

Joined Oct 22, 2019
Then you will need a retaining circuit components of some kind, as I suggested, a reversing contactor would be one solution.
You should also have interlock so immediate reversal cannot take place.
What is the HP of the motor?
Max.
the motor is 1/3 hp, the drum sw will stay maintain, it could not reverse without manually turning drum handle back to reverse. I know ways to do this, but trying to do this w/controls they have is the tough part.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I don't see any pictures either. Make sure you attach them instead of just "pasting" them into the thread.
Look for the button below the text area when you reply/post that says “Attach files”. Click it and follow the prompts. Ask if you have any problems.

paultn71

Joined Oct 22, 2019
im having a heck of a time getting pics to download.
I have a single phase 115/230v motor controlled by a momentary drum switch, to operate in forward and reverse. Im trying to change drum switch to maintain and use limits to stop at end of travel each direction.
I'm assuming that T5,T8 T1-T3 go to the motor?
Probabally a PSC motor?
If it is, you do not need a drum sw to operate.

Max.
Look for the button below the text area when you reply/post that says “Attach files”. Click it and follow the prompts. Ask if you have any problems.
it wont let me attach file

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
it wont let me attach file
Ok, but it would be useful if you could share any information to support that statement? Any error messages? What is the file extension of the files you are trying to attach? What browser are you using? In what platform (Windows, Linux, IOS, etc...)?

Apparently, you CAN upload files. You successfully upload an image in post #15.

paultn71

Joined Oct 22, 2019
im having a heck of a time getting pics to download.
Ok, but it would be useful if you could share any information to support that statement? Any error messages? What is the file extension of the files you are trying to attach? What browser are you using? In what platform (Windows, Linux, IOS, etc...)?

Apparently, you CAN upload files. You successfully upload an image in post #15.
i was able to attach one file, I tried (4) files. I am using windows. It allows me to open files, uploads everything, then runs a horizontal line through the file name and dims with cancel next to it.