For #12 -- Software Suggestions and Ubuntu Hints

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I am starting this thread to assist @#12 in his transition from Windows to Ubuntu. Feel free to add hints/software that may help him.

I'll start with browsers.

Ubuntu comes with Firefox preinstalled. I don't use this. For general internet use, I use Chromium, which is the open-source, unbranded version of Chrome. To install:

1. Open a terminal window: <ALT><CTRL>T
2. Type sudo apt-get install chromium-browser
3. Type password

Use the finder button (at the top of the launch bar) to find the browser (type chromium in search field). Click on the chromium icon.

Any apps that are not in the launch bar will pop up when the program is running. To lock it to the launch bar for easy access, right click the icon on the bar and select "lock to launcher".

Some sites use proprietary DRM for media -- like Netflix and Amazon prime. For these I use Google Chrome browser. Download and install from:

https://www.google.com/intl/en/chro...gn=en&utm_source=en-ha-na-us-sk&utm_medium=ha

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
I am starting this thread to assist @#12 in his transition from Windows to Ubuntu. Feel free to add hints/software that may help him.

I'll start with browsers.

Ubuntu comes with Firefox preinstalled. I don't use this. For general internet use, I use Chromium, which is the open-source, unbranded version of Chrome. To install:

1. Open a terminal window: <ALT><CTRL>T
2. Type sudo apt-get install chromium-browser
3. Type password

Use the finder button (at the top of the launch bar) to find the browser (type chromium in search field). Click on the chromium icon.

Any apps that are not in the launch bar will pop up when the program is running. To lock it to the launch bar for easy access, right click the icon on the bar and select "lock to launcher".

Some sites use proprietary DRM for media -- like Netflix and Amazon prime. For these I use Google Chrome browser. Download and install from:

https://www.google.com/intl/en/chro...gn=en&utm_source=en-ha-na-us-sk&utm_medium=ha
A game I play uses Chromium. What you have to remember is that it is very stripped down version of Chrome. No youtube videos.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
FYI, all software can be searched for and installed via the Ubuntu Software Center, using the orange suitcase icon in the launch bar.

Also, most system settings can be set using the System Setting icon, also in the launch bar.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Getting virtual box now. Can run printer from Vista?
The sad part is, if you set up my printer, I won't know how unless you tell me how you did it.:(

I assume Vista will be hiding behind Ubuntu so it doesn't get internet sickness as much. Right?

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Getting virtual box now. Can run printer from Vista?
The sad part is, if you set up my printer, I won't know how unless you tell me how you did it.:(

I assume Vista will be hiding behind Ubuntu so it doesn't get internet sickness as much. Right?
Windows will be running on its own 'virtual machine' -- it will think it owns a box separate from your PC. It will behave as a stand-alone computer.

With that said, if the Linux box is controlling the printer, Windows will have to print to the shared printer that Linux supplies (this is easy, if we get the printer running under Ubuntu). It will use the Windows drivers, so full functionality can be expected.

If we cannot get the printer running under Ubuntu, then we will just forward the USB port to the Windows VM, and then Windows will manage the printer. Overall, this might be easier to set up, but the VM must be running in order to access the printer from Ubuntu, and we would still have to solve the original problem.

The sad part is, if you set up my printer, I won't know how unless you tell me how you did it.
No. I will let you watch step-by-step, if you wish, and I'll do my best to explain what I am doing. You've already done far more than a noob should have to. In this case, you just happen to have a printer that is badly supported by Canon! believe it or not. This is not Ubuntu's fault. In fact, simply finding info on this printer on the web is a total pain. I assume they didn't sell many of them. Where did you get it?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Amazon.com $250 about 7 years ago. It's a lovely fix for an ink jet. Considering I print about 6 times a year, it was costing me an ink cartridge per page.:mad: Then I got this laser printer and it lasted 4 years on the starter cartridge! Now my business partner is dead and it has a lot of dust on it.:( But it might last the rest of my life.

I understand that the mfg is responsible for creating drivers. Anybody else does it out of the goodness of their heart...or personal need + ability.:D

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Amazon.com $250 about 7 years ago. It's a lovely fix for an ink jet. Considering I print about 6 times a year, it was costing me an ink cartridge per page.:mad: Then I got this laser printer and it lasted 4 years on the starter cartridge! Now my business partner is dead and it has a lot of dust on it.:( But it might last the rest of my life.

I understand that the mfg is responsible for creating drivers. Anybody else does it out of the goodness of their heart...or personal need + ability.:D
Microsoft.

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
Its good to see other members moving to linux. To be honest its the only logical choice in todays world (personally for me). Firefox in linux is doing poorly and will be switching to another browser at some point.

Get nfs for linux! And while your at it, get an old PC and turn it into a server (it is worth it). That way, you can have all your files on a single system (which can create backups etc), and you can access those files from any machine.

Also make sure to use hplip for HP printers (and get the latest edition).
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html

Libre office comes standard and is the only real alternative to office

Gambas, that is a fun BASIC interpreter with GUI abilities. Looks and feels like visual studio

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
#12's printer is up and running.

@#12, I don't know if you do any C (or other) programming, but Linux has a built in compiler called gcc. It is pretty much the defacto industry standard compiler.

If you:

sudo apt-get install build-essentials

this will allow you to build any program from the most basic to a whole new Linux kernel, if you wish.

Typing man gcc will give you a summary of the compiler, and there is lots of help online.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
It's cool enough that ctrl alt t is automatic to me now, but the idea of learning Linux and C on the same day gives me a headache.:oops:
I think I'll go buy some car parts and do physical work today.:p

tom_s

Joined Jun 27, 2014
small tip to save repetitive password entry (root level access for session)

sudo -s

password again and your in as root

no need to type sudo for everything that requires root access for the session