For #12 -- Software Suggestions and Ubuntu Hints

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
small tip to save repetitive password entry (root level access for session)

sudo -s

password again and your in as root

the its apt-get (whatever-you need-to-do/install) for the session
Please don't! As a noob, I'd rather you specifically use sudo each time. This will keep you from seriously mucking things up by accident.

FYI: sudo makes you a temporary "super user" so that you can make administrator changes to the OS. Otherwise, all commands are run as a lowly user -- and only changes to your own files and settings are possible.

Even I don't use sudo -s (or sudo su).

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Oh, @#12 -- did I point out that, now that you are using Linux, you'll never, ever, have to run an antivirus...
Ok... you've got my full attention now... is it because there are no viruses out there written for Linux (very unlikely), or because Linux already has its own antivirus code embedded in it?

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Ok... you've got my full attention now... is it because there are no viruses out there written for Linux (very unlikely), or because Linux already has its own antivirus code embedded in it?
From wiki:

There has not yet been a single widespread Linux virus or malware infection of the type that is common on Microsoft Windows...
There are those who'll say that not running AV is foolish, and that there is no active Linux malware because the platform is not in wide use. This is bunk. It is simply too difficult to write malware that can infect enough machines to be useful...the ecosystem is far too varied and the overall architecture is too secure.

When you install a Linux AV, pretty much all it does is scan for Windows viruses in your email so that you don't inadvertently pass it along to someone running windows.

In over 15 years, I've never had an infection on any of my many Linux boxes, including desktops and laptops, and routers and servers connected directly to the global internet.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I've never understood why one is willing to pony up good money for a broken OS, and then pony up more money (in yearly subscriptions) to fix it.

It's like buying a new car that you know will break down monthly, and then constantly paying repair bills.

But, at least each new Windows release is "The Most Secure Ever"...

tom_s

Joined Jun 27, 2014
Please don't! As a noob, I'd rather you specifically use sudo each time.
you'd rather #12 follow your instructions? agreed there

noob.... [fx: points the white stick at joey]

FYI: sudo makes you a temporary "super user" so that you can make administrator changes to the OS.
was only a suggestion/hint on processing. think i did mention it was only for the session?
[looks at previous post] yup, twice.

Even I don't use sudo -s (or sudo su).
never used su or enabled a root account. can we stop adding more spanners please :)

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Nobody here wants to hear it, but I feel compelled to point out that the Cadillac of UNIX boxes these days is a Mac. Not that it feels like UNIX. A trip to the command line is very rare, but I have been there enough to recognize all the stuff being suggested to #12.

And the lack of AV is familiar. I don't know any Mac user that bothers with AV.

IBM's experience in switching to Macs has got us long-time Mac users chuckling and savoring an epic "I told you so".
http://bgr.com/2015/10/19/ibm-goes-apple-helpdesk-calls-way-down-compared-to-windows/

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Hello,

If you have an old computer, linux is the best to use.
There are even linux distribution that will run on a 386 computer.
I have used linuxlite on some computers that had not much power:
https://www.linuxliteos.com/

Bertus
Don't forget Puppy Linux. It doesn't even need a hard drive.

And, for command-line only, there's always DamnSmallLinux with a footprint of only 50MB. It's great for diagnosing broken computers.

thumb2

Joined Oct 4, 2015
What is your knowledge about Linux ?
What do you know about Linux distributions ?
What do you think a computer virus is ?

Last edited:

thumb2

Joined Oct 4, 2015
No, I am just a person who asked you something.
It's nice and funny to discuss with you... :D:D:D

You are right, if you are happy with that. :)
Best wishes with Linux.