For #12 -- Software Suggestions and Ubuntu Hints

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
I'll be back at some point. I've been running, of all things. Ubuntu live from a CD for like 2 years plus.
I have yet to install it on a SSD, so I need help too, but I'll also contribute.

I have a small USB stick that has some stuff on it that namely does:
disable trackpad tapping
Adds a 0.5 s keyboard delay (makes laptop KB behave better)
Sets up an ARP entry for my printer
Sets my time zone (copies moves a file from my USB drive)
Installs Flash from my USB drive (It's PITA keeping Flash up to date)
<at this point it checks for a network connection (ping to google) and bails if it doesn't get one>
Installs NFS
Mounts shares on a QNAP RAID server
Installs the latest Firefox

Manually I install printer drivers for a network laser printer.

All done by booting from CD
Connect to wireless
Use the install along OS method
Mount the USB stick
CNTRL_ALT_T to open a terminal and execute sudo bash /media/KINGSTON/config

I will usually install VLC

Some things don't seem to be found under the Software Center. I may install via Synaptic, apt-get or the Software Center.

I did get the Arduino IDE to run. (USB permissions)

Can get Serial programs to run.

I have issues with OPNVPN (the menu dissapears).
Issues with JAVA.
Can't get the demo version of this http://www.keterex.com/kxusb910h.php to run unless running under WINE

I have tried unsuccessfully to mount an SMB (SAMBA) share that I can see via SMB:// in Firefox. The router does run Linux.

Issues with USB permissions and mounting.

My experience started with Unix back in the late 70's and it continued to about 5 years ago. The Linux era probably started with a Cygwin emulator which I managed to set up as a "man-in-the-middle" so I could access a share more conveniently from home.

EDIT: Added timezone and network checking info

Last edited:

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
i like that topic but since (justified or not) there seem to be a lot of praise for linux security, lack of viruses etc., i decided to chime in.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Linuxvirus

and quick search with google confirmed that there is an antivirus software for linux:
https://www.sophos.com/en-us/produc...tivirus-for-linux.aspx?cmp=70130000001xKqzAAE

and the own review is also interesting read:
https://blogs.sophos.com/2015/03/26/dont-believe-these-four-myths-about-linux-security/
Of course there is antivirus software for Linux. It's so you can scan for potentially infected files and emails before you send them to a Windows user. I don't. If they get infected, they deserve it.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Of course there is antivirus software for Linux. It's so you can scan for potentially infected files and emails before you send them to a Windows user. I don't. If they get infected, they deserve it.
It always tickles my fancy when you remind me that I am now morally superior to everyone who uses Windows.
However, I haven't seen you in the Automotive Forum telling each Thread Poster that all their problems would be solved by owning the same brand of car you own.
Is that because they deserve their problems for not being as morally superior as you are?

Joey:

Post #1 and #2 are all wet. In order to get restricted extras you have to set up the repositories (multiverse).

lsb_release -sc in the terminal window will tell you the release name your running.

Anyway see: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/CommandLine

When installing "restricted extras" there is a EULA that you HAVE TO ACKNOWLEDGE which is a bit weird.
use the TAB key to highlight the ersatz buttons.

So, I have installed software with
APT-GET
Ubuntu Software Center
Synaptic

I think Synaptic is really cool. It also seems to be the better one that can fix stuff.

nano is "very simple" text editor.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Feels good, doesn't it?
No. Linux is just another language. With Ubuntu, I am about as morally superior as I was when I took a class to learn German in 1962.
What I am trying to say is, "Linux fixes everything" hasn't been funny since the second time you did that.
You appear to be arrogant or senile or trolling, or possibly doing drunk posting.
I know you as a brilliant and accomplished designer. This change worries me because I have seen three people revert to childish repetition and each of them was dead within three years. I sincerely hope you are not in your death spiral. I have buried too many friends. When I see you acting like this, it worries me.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
No. Linux is just another language. With Ubuntu, I am about as morally superior as I was when I took a class to learn German in 1962.
What I am trying to say is, "Linux fixes everything" hasn't been funny since the second time you did that.
You appear to be arrogant or senile or trolling, or possibly doing drunk posting.
I know you as a brilliant and accomplished designer. This change worries me because I have seen three people revert to childish repetition and each of them was dead within three years. I sincerely hope you are not in your death spiral. I have buried too many friends. When I see you acting like this, it worries me.
Wow.

That's a lot to read into 'Linux fixes everything.'

I appreciate your concern. Yes, Linux is just a platform. And that is what I use it for, as a small part of my everyday life. What you read as arrogance, senility, or trolling is just my way of expressing sarcastic humor. Humor to express my frustration that a majority of users are satisfied with a product that has been broken since the beginning of time -- and will always be. From a technical, not emotional, standpoint, of course.

On a personal note, I am incredibly distressed that my humor does not entertain you, the great and all-powerful #12. I will endeavor in the future to change my ways so that I can once again shine in your eyes. That is, after all, why I am here.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
On a personal note, I am incredibly distressed that my humor does not entertain you,
It entertained me the first two times. After that I began to wonder.:confused:

Thank you for a sincere answer...until the last couple of lines. The truth is in my post. I have become worried about your health.
The masses of people who use Windows are simply unwilling to learn if they aren't forced into it. As long as there is a system for ignorant people, ignorant people will use it, and that's most of them, and that's why Bill Gates is the wealthiest person on the planet. I think you should accept a reality you can't fix instead of feeling frustrated about it.

And, please don't call me, "great" or, "powerful". Some people waste their youth in a billiard parlor. I am wasting my second childhood on an electronics site. That doesn't make me great or powerful, just unemployed.:D

"Dog, grant me the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to accept the things I can't."
Zen out, dude. It's better for your health.:)

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
It entertained me the first two times. After that I began to wonder.:confused:

Thank you for a sincere answer...until the last couple of lines. The truth is in my post. I have become worried about your health.
The masses of people who use Windows are simply unwilling to learn if they aren't forced into it. As long as there is a system for ignorant people, ignorant people will use it, and that's most of them, and that's why Bill Gates is the wealthiest person on the planet. I think you should accept a reality you can't fix instead of feeling frustrated about it.

And, please don't call me, "great" or, "powerful". Some people waste their youth in a billiard parlor. I am wasting my second childhood on an electronics site. That doesn't make me great or powerful, just unemployed.:D

"Dog, grant me the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to accept the things I can't."
Zen out, dude. It's better for your health.:)
You take my presence here far too seriously.

tom_s

Joined Jun 27, 2014
/me side comment

'sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me' and 'only believe half of what you see and nothing of what you hear'

too many people nowadays take what they see on their screen(s) as gospel, pixels on a screen is just that, nothing more