Fm transmitter

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Simple technique: Tune around the FM band and see if you can hear it -without an audio signal, the output of the FM receiver will become quiet when tuned to a transmitter. If you cannot find it in the band, tune to the top of the band and press a finger against L1 to drop the frequency of the transmitter. If that doesn't work, start compressing and expanding L1 with the receiver tuned to a quiet spot on the dial.

Just in case: This circuit is not a good candidate for being built on one of those plastic plug-in breadboards.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Simple technique: Tune around the FM band and see if you can hear it -without an audio signal, the output of the FM receiver will become quiet when tuned to a transmitter. If you cannot find it in the band, tune to the top of the band and press a finger against L1 to drop the frequency of the transmitter. If that doesn't work, start compressing and expanding L1 with the receiver tuned to a quiet spot on the dial.

Just in case: This circuit is not a good candidate for being built on one of those plastic plug-in breadboards.
actually impossible. And with the emitter biassing resistors not adjustable pretty rubbish doubtful it will work at all.

The 2n3904 isnt ideal at this frequency so needs correct bias. I know because i have built similar circuits and substituted with 2n3904.

You also get hFE variation anyway, so putting a fixed resistor is not good practice anyway.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008

Here is a copy of the schematic that we can read.

Yep, the component values don't look optimum, but it is a very forgiving circuit. A bypass capacitor from the +9V side of L1 to ground near R7 would increase the chances of Q2 oscillating.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012

it is a very forgiving circuit
Not with 2n3904, I found these circuits have a very small operating point (with clear transmission at good level). Depending on the particular transistor probably not working at all with fixed R7, same for R5

I think the gain of 2n3904 isnt very high at 100 MHz + it has internal capacitances at that frequency + losses.

Probably also relating to the fact different people use different batches/manufacturers of these transistors so results may vary.

Kaiser Ed Bayawa

Joined Mar 19, 2015
actually impossible. And with the emitter biassing resistors not adjustable pretty rubbish doubtful it will work at all.

The 2n3904 isnt ideal at this frequency so needs correct bias. I know because i have built similar circuits and substituted with 2n3904.

You also get hFE variation anyway, so putting a fixed resistor is not good practice anyway.
can you please suggest what is the best transistor to be use in my circuit? please
thank you

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
No reason to think the 2N3904 won't work in spite of the discouragement. If it is readily available I would try the 2N3904 first. I have used the 2N3904, 2N708, MPSH34, and 2N4401, 2N2222 and probably others in similar circuits and not experienced disappointments.