Fluke T5-1000

eyesee

Joined Oct 19, 2013
I'm trying to repair a Fluke T5-1000 current clamp meter.

There appears to be remnants of leaked batteries on some components.

When I temporarily attached the back cover back on to test the meter after cleaning, I noticed a burning smell when the probes were connected to mains (230V AC).

The burning seems to have come from a short across the PCB from the battery negative contact to one of the thermistor contacts. What is the purpose of the thermistor and could a loose battery connection have caused the burnt short?

Attachments

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
If there is corrosion on the board repair is likely to be unsuccessful. Clean as much as you can off with IPA and a stiff toothbrush. Then replace any component showing signs of damage/corrosion.

The 'thermistor' is a overcurrent protective device. Putting 230v AC on a damaged board may have damaged it further.

For your own safety this is not a rookie repair job.

eyesee

Joined Oct 19, 2013
Thanks for your reply Irving.

I think mostly the trim potentiometers have a little dried battery electrolyte which is causing fluctuating readings.

I have repaired many items previously including mains powered so well aware of the dangers.

I wanted to know the purpose of the thermistor in a meter and what might have caused the arcing between tracks?

I'll scrape out the burnt section on the PCB and lacquer it.